Plane Organization

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, I finally got around to organizing my hand planes. Instead of them being piled up under the workbench, I spent the time to build a plane rack to organize them. I got a 2'x4' piece of Baltic Birch ply and made some diveder strips from some leftover maple boards. I rounded the edges of the boards on both sides on the router table and then used my Grippper to cut 1/2" strips off. This was after planing the boards to 3/8" thick. I didn't bother sanding it except to get off the worst router burn marks and put a single coat of a wipe on varnish to protect the wood a little and bring out a little character. It seems to be working out pretty well and only took a couple evenings to complete.

I used sketchup to figure out how to lay things out after measuring each of the planes. The final layout deviated some from the sketchup drawing though. I found room for the router planes and shoulder planes as well.

Laying things out.

DSC_0244_800x532_.jpg

View image in gallery

And finally I mounted it under the bench by laying one of the strips on its side glued to the bench to make a lip for it to rest against and I ran a 1" dowel through one back leg and into the other leg for the back of it to rest against. Seems to work pretty well.

Time will tell if gravity is enough to hold everything in place once I start banging on the bench or if I'm going to need to embed some magnets into the ply. It seems pretty sturdy with just gravity working for me.

- Ken.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
looks good. i've been thinking about doing something similar w/ my planes. thanks for posting, this may give me the needed inspiration.

Sam

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
EeeGads! There are no empty spots!!! Don't let the wife see that! "Honey, you don't have room for any more planes - you'd have to build a new workbench to store them." I suggest moving some of those planes to a box or some shelves. Anything to leave no doubt in her mind that you have space for more. I'm sure Bas can chime in with some additional tool-enabling suggestions.

(seriously - nice work!)

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
No, no, no, Ken. You have to much clutter in that organizer. How about I stop by Sunday to help reduce the clutter? :D

Seriously, that is so well organized, even I could find the plane I needed.

Last edited:

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Ken,
Looks great and well organized. I agree you need some empty spots to remind others your collection is not yet complete.
Tim

Rob

New User
Rob
I like it, have wanted to do something similar but inside a cabinet to keep the sawdust off of them.

lottathought

New User
Michael
I like it. In fact, you have given me an idea on how to organize my infestation of planes that is still reproducing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS