Plane Good Deal (maybe - what do you think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrewer

John
Corporate Member
I was talking with a friend today who told me that somebody had dropped off some tools and that I should come by and look them over before he hauled them to the dumpster. Anyways here's what I brought home (from left to right)

Stanley #220, #2, #3, Bailey #5, ??? Not sure what this one is???, Bailey #7

I've never owned a plane in my life and am unsure what to do with these. Guess I'll do some research on cleaning them up and seeing what it takes to get them in working order.

IMG_09522.JPG

View image in gallery

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Looks like a pretty good haul. Can't beat the price.

Here is a good place to get some additional info on the Stanley planes.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

A Stanley #2 can fetch a pretty good price on Ebay, depending on the vintage. If you do decide to sell, list them here first and let the members have a chance to buy what you don't want to keep.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
As for the #2, don't clean it beyond wiping the dust off. If you do a lot of cleaning, it may devalue it. Collectors like them fresh off the farm, meaning no shiney metal, etc. Even if you plan on keeping it, it would be wise to leave it as much as found as possible. Just saying.

MIke

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Unbelievable find! ! ! ! ! Like others have said, the #2 is the real gem in the lot, but the others are no slackers. For the transition plane (the metal / wood combo) look for a number stamped into the end of the wood. Probably a #25 or 27, something like that.

Bill

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I think you should throw them in the dumpster.... but make sure you tell me the address where it is before you do!!!:wink_smil

Nice score, man what great luck you have. Jim

CatButler

New User
Bryan
I have a dumpster at work. I'll come by and pick them up and throw them in the dumpster for you:gar-Bi.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Like Mike said don't mess up that #2! Wipe off the dust with a soft cloth and then leave it alone.

Could be worth $300 - $700 depending on the vintage and condition. Wrong cleaning could cut that to $50.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Can I be your friends friend too?

That is quite a haul!

The 220 is very common, but a good working block plane. Depending on condition 15 to 30 bucks.

#2, as said, could be a big winner!

The #3, a good, but small smoother. Off the top of my head, in decent shape, 30 to 60.

#5 is a common jack plane, 15 to 40 (some are worth more than others, but likely on the lower end).

The wooden transitional, likely a Stanely (stamped on the blade too). Not overly collectable, but if the wooden part is in good shape, a very respectable worker. $20 - $40

The #7 Bailey could be the second best deal. Depending on factors, between 70 to 150 sounds about right.

All told, you scored big time!

What are your plans for these found treasures?

Jim

jbrewer

John
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone - sounds like I stumbled across a great find. The friend that gave me these teaches a carpentry course at a local high school, so if the #2 has value I wouldn't mind selling it and giving him the $$ to buy some more tools for his students. As far as the other planes, I'll do some research about cleaning them up and start learning how to use them.

09woodie22

New User
Gabe
People have already posted lots of information, but (not to overwhelm you!) there is a lot to know about restoration. If you want to keep any of them for "collection" purposes or resale, then the post stating 'just wipe the dust off' is highly appropriate. If you mess with a collectible at all, the price goes down. If you want to turn it into a 'user,' then here is a FANTASTIC website:

http://www.wkfinetools.com/index.asp

It will tell you how to clean rust off of steel with citric acid (a mild acid; safe to work with without gloves), and simple ways to recapture patina and even "parkerize" wood chisels.

There are other websites that can tell you how to replace or flatten wooden bases on old transitional planes like the one you have.

The most challenging piece (in my humble opinion) is learning to sharpen and set the plane irons! But it is highly rewarding when you get there and the first time you get that "shee-e-e-t" feel and sound as you produce a paper thin cutting! Very cool! Flat-out sensual to me!? :wink_smil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS