Plane blade test

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Oh, to find the right metal at a normal price.
You don't always get what you pay for, but if you don't pay for it, you won't get it.

Value of tool tests. 4 1/2 inch cutoff blades. Tried some "Bauer" from HF. Cheap. Did not cut. Edges chipped and broke so I got about one bolt or rod cut per blade.
An on-line objective test sent me to PEFRD. Bought a box of them. Almost magic. Used the first one and cut about 10 feet of 16 gauge. Looks and measures new.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Here is a story of engineering gone awry..... Back in the 80's a good friend wanted me to learn and take on instrument making and custom mods. Specific instruments were Classical Flutes, Clarinets, Oboes, and Saxophones. During that time, he was retained by several instrument makers as a consultant and tester of prototypes. Yamaha at that time wanted to knock off Selmer Saxes from the top position of preferred Sax played by the best. The Yamaha engineers and designers assumed that having a harder brass would provide better results as to longer intervals between adjustment and provide a crisper sound. Long story short the Yamaha Saxes keep leaking after 4 to 6 weeks of playing and testing, the Yamaha design group could not believe it. The computer modeling showed their design was better, more resilient. It was not......

Moral of this story, just because the numbers test shows it is better, does not always translate in to real live performance. ...... And..... the reason as it turns out, was the softer brass was more forgiving and could better handle the sloppy fingering pressing on the keys that so many players do without deforming or bending as quickly.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I think what the story shows is one needs to understand a broader set of parameters. Designing to one factor is usually a very poor choice. Models are usually very accurate, but only for the data given.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Interesting thread, I can still remember Metallurgy III way back in college, but I think the interest was more related to automotive applications

Personally I have a bunch of planes, some LN with A2 irons, some Veritas with A2 and a bunch of antique Victory and Stanley planes with O1 irons.

Somehow I always seem to grab the Victory and Stanley’s with O1 first. To me it seems the O1 wears faster, but even after some wear they still cut better than a sharp A2. I confess I have never done a proper technical analysis though.

In the end it does not really matter, I have sharpening a plane iron down to around 5 minutes. I use a Wolverine jig on a 180 CBN wheel, followed by a micro bevel with a few swipes on a 1000 water stone all using part of the same jig.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
One of the few things that have changed since we were in school is alloy formulas and manufacturing process. I ordered a Narex chisel to see if I can tell the difference with my Maples. My Hock irons seem to be mid-pack of the "good stuff" but this does give alternatives if I need another. My big wide planer needs one.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Agreed ! Disraeli a 19th century British Pollitican once said "There are 3 kinds of lies LIES, DAMN LIES ...and STATSTICS !

QUOTE="tvrgeek, post: 668916, member: 13882"]
I think what the story shows is one needs to understand a broader set of parameters. Designing to one factor is usually a very poor choice. Models are usually very accurate, but only for the data given.
[/QUOTE]

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
One of the few things that have changed since we were in school is alloy formulas and manufacturing process. I ordered a Narex chisel to see if I can tell the difference with my Maples. My Hock irons seem to be mid-pack of the "good stuff" but this does give alternatives if I need another. My big wide planer needs one.
"One of the few things that have changed since we were in school is alloy formulas and manufacturing process."
I have to disagree with that, BUT I don't know when you were in school versus when I was...
PM (powdered Metal) tooling was quite new when I came out of school (college) Crucible was still giving samples for us to try on cutting machines. I had to take our ground tools to the coater to get them TiNi coated!
Everyone thought it was nuts to think you could use carbide tools on a wood lathe since the size of the carbide back then was too large to give a "sharp" edge to cut wood! I think I still have one of the high-angle metal lathe cutters with a diamond insert in it that I thought - "Wow if I could figure out how to put this in a lathe tool - it would REALLY work and last a LONG time!" but alas, EWT got there first!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS