Plane adjustment for the aging eyes

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Paul Sellers, is the famous British carpenter. As stated in the original posting, this is an easy way to set a plane with no adjustment screw. It also teaches you to better estimate a shaving's thickness. To me, this was the best thing. Since most everything I work with is hard or way hard, sharp blade, thin cut is the only way, unless, you want to start bondoing a piece of wood.

I don't know who Paul is, but from step 11 onwards in his article is pretty much what I do, except I don't use a test board. With experience a few knob turns and I am good to go on the actual work piece. Measuring the iron depth with a gauge IMHO is not practical.

Setting the blade depth has a lot of variables, type of wood, iron angles for figured wood, how sharp the blade is, etc. It really comes into play making slight adjustments as one goes along planing a piece of wood.

Last edited:

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Besides being Peter and Mary's singing partners ;), Paul Sellers is an older version of Rob Cosman except Paul still makes furniture in the mother land/island. He's been doing more philosophy and gardening than furniture making since the virus, however. Rob is making how-to (make furniture) videos since the virus,:D

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
As much as I love my digital tools, I use the " just feel by thumb, then test and increase" method I'm no Krenov, but I do pretty well with planes. After cateract surgery, can't see a darn thing up close. I guess what could be really hard is skew if you can't see it. In that case, a digital gauge may actually be viable.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS