Pin oak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Does anyone know if pin oak is good for anything?
My wife's grandmother has an enormous pin oak tree that needs to go. I'm guessing 36" at the base. Does this have any desirable characteristics or is it only good for firewood?

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
i just wrote a long reply then promptly lost it when i went to look for another member's name who has a sawmill. the wood is good for turning stock, straight sections would make nice lumber. i've got some small stuff drying that i will saw veneer out of, and a few bowls roughed out, coated in glue and drying. a friend of my dad's cut down a pin oak half a year ago that was almost 5' diameter at the ground. i'll post with the name in a few minutes.

phillip

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
ok, try member Kyle at www.sawmillnc.com. he's got a cool website with lots of good stuff, i don't know if he does custom sawing but it's worth a shot. hopefully i'll get to visit him in the near future.

phillip

brenthenze

New User
Brent Henze
You've probably already seen this resource, but just in case: a technical advisor at "Woodweb" has discussed pin oak in response to a similar question on that forum. According to that response, pin oak is a commercially viable variety of red oak:

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Red_Oak_White_Oak_Black_Oak_and_More.html

Whether it's worth milling would probably have more to do with the tree's habitat and condition. From what I've read in various books and web resources, I gather that the quality of the wood would be greater if it's growing in a well-drained area rather than a wetland (this is why swamp oaks and other wetland oaks lack commercial value).

That said, I defer to others with more knowledge about pin oaks than I have!

brenthenze

New User
Brent Henze
According to a forestry website that I just looked at but now can't find again, "pin oak" got its name from the wood being used in the pins used to peg post-and-beam barns. That'd suggest it's a pretty strong wood.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Thanks, All, for the input. To my great fortune, it appears that Kyle (www.sawmillnc.com) is located in Lincolnton, about 10 miles from where the tree is.... I feel a plan forming......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS