Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
I came into some oak last month and have begun the process of turning it into a Pie Safe for the wife. I also had some Spalted maple that was give to my dad and I by PChristy that I finally got around to milling up and using. I'm using it for the panels in the pie safe and I'm also using it for the top. I'm probably 40% of the way through with the project. I'm trying to get it done before Christmas for my wife.

So here are some WIP Pics.....

The Beginning

2011-10-22_16_36_46.jpg

View image in gallery

Looks like just a bunch of scraps but it's going somewhere. :)

Some of the Spalted Maple for the two side panels....

Some cool wood spirit or something after I resawed the maple. Unfortunately I have to resaw on my tablesaw since I don't have a big bandsaw or a one that is worth a hoot. I can do all of 3" with mine and I would trust it to do anything more than some scrolling. :(

So far everything is joined with biscuits. I like those things. I'm going to do overlapping joints for the doors and then ship lap the back of the cabinet. Oh yeah there is some pine in there in areas that will not show. trying to conserve the oak as much as possible. :)

Last edited:

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
Re: Pie Safe WIP - PIC HEAVY!!!!!

Looking good... I have a pie safe that has been in the family for many years... It is one of my favorite pieces of furniture.

MikeH

New User
Mike

Looks good so far Kevin. Keep the pics coming. I look forward to seeing the finished project.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Nice work on the resaw of that fine looking maple!:icon_thum

Sure looks like it will be a solid and unique looking piece.

Pie safes are just so cool.:cool:

I have to convince the LOML that she could really use one. Looks like a fun project to get into.

Looking forward to seeing yet more of your progress.

Wayne

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin

Looks good so far Kevin. Keep the pics coming. I look forward to seeing the finished project.

Thanks Mike I'm excited to see it finished. I'm hoping to get some work done to it tomorrow night and Sunday.

Nice work on the resaw of that fine looking maple!:icon_thum

Sure looks like it will be a solid and unique looking piece.

Pie safes are just so cool.:cool:

I have to convince the LOML that she could really use one. Looks like a fun project to get into.

Looking forward to seeing yet more of your progress.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne.... Yeah she really needs one. :)

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

Dang Kevin, that looks pretty good for a bunch of old scrap wood. :rotflm: By the way, if you run short on that oak I might know where you could find a few more pieces. :icon_thum

Bill

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin

Dang Kevin, that looks pretty good for a bunch of old scrap wood. :rotflm: By the way, if you run short on that oak I might know where you could find a few more pieces. :icon_thum

Bill

Thanks I appreciate that.. I think I'm going to have just enough as long as I don't blunder something big.

Yeah Bonnie is already wondering when I'm going to build the second one for upstairs. Apparently this is staying downstairs. :rotflm:

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob

Really like how the spaultered patterns came out.
Who cares how ya have to resaw... you made it work!
Let's see some more pics of "in progress" as the safe develops.

great job,
Bob

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin

Really like how the spaultered patterns came out.
Who cares how ya have to resaw... you made it work!
Let's see some more pics of "in progress" as the safe develops.

great job,
Bob

Thanks Bob.... Yeah I thought it was real cool. I'm going to fill part of that know with some colored epoxy. Probably just some basic black but it will help stabilize it and give it another cool feature.

As far as the resaw sometimes you have to make it work. I always get nervous when re-sawing on the table saw but it turned out alright. Just a little clean up from the blade to be done.

Nelson

New User
Nelson

Awesome work! :thumbs_up
Just another reason why I don't let my wife get on this site...("Uh No honey there's nothing on here you need to see"):nah:

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin

Awesome work! :thumbs_up
Just another reason why I don't let my wife get on this site...("Uh No honey there's nothing on here you need to see"):nah:

:rotflm::rotflm:

That's great... Well Hopefully when it's done it will be a worthy piece for the house. We'll see....

jhreed

New User
james

Did your Dad build one of these? Could we see finished pictures of both?
James

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin

Did your Dad build one of these? Could we see finished pictures of both?
James

He did I can't remember if he posted it here or not. He's got a second one in the works now. Mine is going to be different than the one he built and the one he's building. Basically I'm building a two drawer version where his are 3 Drawer.

Actually I just found a finished pic of his first one.....

Pie_Safe_1.JPG

Mine will be similar just the top drawer will be like the bottom.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy

Nice looking project as always. You do incredible work.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin

Thanks Tracy... If I can get my Jointer working I can get moving again, thought I had it but it's slightly off.. Hopefully Sunday I'll have time.......

T

toolferone

Comming along very nice. I look forward to seeing more wip pics and the final peice.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin

Comming along very nice. I look forward to seeing more wip pics and the final peice.

I'll have some more this week. I was hoping to get some time out there today but between errands and my back killing me today I didn't get a chance to get out there. I did however get the tint I wanted and will be shooting the pieces soon before I go to assemble everything.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin

Haven't had as much time in the shop as I had hoped. My back has been killing me. Not sure what's up with that but I decided to grin and bear it. You can't tell a whole lot has been done but I've tuned up the fit of the internal frames and cut out the front of the drawer that will go at the top. I'm doing a single full size drawer up top and down at the bottom.

I've got the top drawer almost to size. I need to shave of a 1/32 or so to give some additional clearance.

Now I need to cut the bottom front and the take some scrap and learn how to use my dovetail jig. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS