Picture Hanging Advise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
:dontknow:This was an out of the box idea dreamed up by my wife. 4 paintings with a 1"ish gap between them that made one picture. I made frames, that weren't really frames, that go behind in a certain manner. I like the way it looks and it looked great on the wall when we had it hung. Problem lies in how we hung it. We used 3M Command Strips and just placed it on the wall. It fell off in the middle of the night while we were asleep. I went all commando around the house cas the wife was scared (maybe a story for another time). I went and mounted all the frames on the wall again with drywall anchor screws (kind that look like an auger). Now to get the pictures on the frames. I ran out of ideas short of glue or a nail gun. I don't want to harm the paintings cause my wife would kill me for messing up her work. I also want it to be able to be completely disassembled when we move with the Navy. Any Ideas? Pictures for your viewing pleasure:
0302001827.jpg

View image in gallery

0302001824.jpg

View image in gallery

I hope this helps in your pondering.:icon_scra

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hey Zack. I am not really understanding the problem. Can you not just use standard picture wires or the saw tooth hangers on the back of the pics and hang them? It would take some calculating to get them positioned correctly.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
No good place to put the wires b/c the "Frames" stand off the wall about 1/2". The pictures are really light too so I want to mount them to the frames. I can't use sawtooth b/c the have to be centered and the center of every top is not on the frame. I just thought about velcro, but we'll see what pops up. Oh and the frames are all directly screwed to the wall b/c she stored them in a place they warped alittle so when I screw them down they flatten out. And all the screws are hidden behind where the pictures will go. Does that make more sense?

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Zach: Can you make a center"cross" that is the gap you see, have the frames mounted to it, then all ya need is to screw thru that pc with 2 screws, one top and bottom. Even mounted to a pc of Ply for a lack of a better term and have same visual and same 2 screw plan

nelsone

New User
Ed
Let's see if I understand what you have. There are 4 pictures, each have a wooden frame for the canvas. Each of those pictures are attached with velcro to the "frame" grid that is screwed to the wall. Is that what you have?

How about putting some dowels between the picture frames and grid frame. You probably don't need to glue since the friction fit should be enough to hold them and you don't need to worry about gravity shearing the dowels. That way they can still be pulled off when necessary.

timf67

New User
Tim
My wife made a similar type of painting where she did four canvases that spelled our oldest son's name. I screwed the canvases to the "holder" by counter-sinking screws from the back of the holder into the canvas frames. I then mounted the whole assembly to the wall using flush mount clips. I know you already mounted the frames to the wall, but you might try an approach like mine. also, if you go the velcro route, you could try these.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Let's see if I understand what you have. There are 4 pictures, each have a wooden frame for the canvas. Each of those pictures are attached with velcro to the "frame" grid that is screwed to the wall. Is that what you have? no velcro as of yet. they are not attached to the frames and the frames are not attached to each other.

How about putting some dowels between the picture frames and grid frame. You probably don't need to glue since the friction fit should be enough to hold them and you don't need to worry about gravity shearing the dowels. That way they can still be pulled off when necessary.
like this idea!
My wife made a similar type of painting where she did four canvases that spelled our oldest son's name. I screwed the canvases to the "holder" by counter-sinking screws from the back of the holder into the canvas frames. I then mounted the whole assembly to the wall using flush mount clips. I know you already mounted the frames to the wall, but you might try an approach like mine. also, if you go the velcro route, you could try these.
like the clips idea! will do more research and pondering:icon_scra Probably need alot more pondering:icon_scra. Seems like the more I get "ideas" the more I end up reinventing the wheel and making it more complicated than ever need be.:eusa_doh:

Stick&String

New User
Scott
I’m a fan of the dowel rod idea. If you screw and glue them to the frames w/o paintings and just drill the holes in the backs of the paintings then the paintings will be removable by simply popping them off. Plus you can play with the gap between the paintings and the faux frames behind and give it more of a 3D look. Just my 2 cents

But you might have to stand there and have a beer or six and maul it over. :eek:ccasion1

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
An incomplete thought - might lead somewhere, might not...

In the very center, there is an open area, a rectangle, between the frames. Is your lighting such that you see the wall there clearly? I am wondering if a piece of ply covered with black felt or flat black paint would be noticeable there. It might be seen but actually add something, depending on your taste. Anyway, then you would have something very solid (easily anchored) that has concealed contact with every single piece.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
That would be ideal, but lighting will not allow and wife wants the wall to show. So there I am. I will work on the dowel idea before I give up and get velcro.

bluchz

bluchz
User
What about assembling all as seen in the second picture and then using a "french cleat" like the ones used in workshop storage projects. It could then be assembled/disassembled on the floor as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS