Picture frame question

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
I have a question for any picture frame makers out there. How or what do you use to hold the glass, picture and backing in the frame itself? I have broken two pieces of glass trying to figure out how to put a small nail or staple in the edge. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I don't use anything specifically for just the glass.
Print and matte behind glass, then backer piece. Small nails into frame behind everything.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
+1 to glazing points. Most glass shops have them or you can go to a picture frame store and get them cheap.

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 2.30.03 PM.png

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
There's a special tool--Logan point driver--that makes this part of picture framing so easy and goof proof it's mind blowing. You can do perfectly a 30 minute job in 3 minutes with no risk of breaking glass or cracking a frame. Basically it is a horizontal staple gun that shoots flexible steel tabs (F53) into a frame. Insert everything into the frame face down. Lay the gun flat against the backing and shoot. Everything is held in place snugly; the tabs are flexible so you can bend them out of the way and remove/replace whatever you framed previously.

Here's the Amazon link: Amazon.com: Logan F500-2 Dual Point Driver Elite Here's an important hack: Make sure your frame is rigidly braced before you shoot the points. If you don't the frame will kick back from the drive and the points won't seat properly or evenly. Also test fire into a frame scrap to get the pressure adjusted right.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I prefer the 1710 glazing points. Just lay them flat on the back of the picture or backing and push them in w/ a flat screwdriver or old chisel.

joec

joe
User
I put in 1/4" ply behind the picture and then screw in the little flat decorative pieces of metal that you can turn out of the way if you need to take the picture out. These are typically sold in the kits for picture frame hanging, in Hobby Lobby etc.

BKHam

Bradley
User
while glazing points may be good for something framed long term, i've struggled with finding a neat way for frames where i want to change out the content. i typically cannibalize the glass and stand from old unwanted frames and have tried a variety of ways to hold them in.

i've found these:

i create a little recess and this is how it looks.
frame clips.jpg

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
while glazing points may be good for something framed long term, i've struggled with finding a neat way for frames where i want to change out the content. i typically cannibalize the glass and stand from old unwanted frames and have tried a variety of ways to hold them in.

i've found these:

View attachment 197136
I've used these as well. Really easy to use when you are gifting an empty frame.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

i've found these:

View attachment 197136

That's an interesting way to do it.

cpw

New User
Charles
I have a question for any picture frame makers out there. How or what do you use to hold the glass, picture and backing in the frame itself? I have broken two pieces of glass trying to figure out how to put a small nail or staple in the edge. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As others recommend, for small frames I would use glazing points behind the backer board to hold everything in. On larger frames, like over 30" in any dimension, my preference is to make the frame deep enough to construct a backer frame that drops in behind the backer board and gets screwed to the inside of the frame around the perimeter. Sorry I don't have any pics of this. I hope it makes sense.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS