pictorial milling of American elm crotch log

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Im voting on 3 too. I wish I knew how to play guitar, so I could be the one wailing on a guitar made of that awesome wood :headbang: . Be blessed bro

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I scrolled back through the thread to get a perspective on all the sides, and I have to say I am partial to side described as #2 in post #10.
That side seems to have the most color and straightest grain....but it could just be the pictures.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

Found a little mill time and flipped over the cant. With side 3 up, took off one 2" thick board. Nice gain on this board, lots of heart wood, a little over 12" wide...

Attachments

• Aug29$04.JPG
    Aug29$04.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 157
  • Aug29$05.JPG
    Aug29$05.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 156
J

jeff...

Managed to finsh sawing this bad boy up today here's the next 8/4 board and a 12/4.

Attachments

• Aug29$07.JPG
    Aug29$07.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 151
  • Aug29$11.JPG
    Aug29$11.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 152
J

jeff...

The last 8/4. Log produced a bunch of 9/4 slabs, four 8/4 x 12 and one 12/4 x 12 15 foot long mostly heart wood boards or (165 BF). I'm estimating somewhere around 400BF of 9/4 slabs. But will know better once I edge them all.

Just incase I ever doubt how accurate my Wood Mizer mill is, here's a pic of an 1/8 thick piece of veneer. Am. elm bends real well at 1/8 inch thick. I try and cut a thin piece like this off each different species I mill. I tack a small piece of it on the wall of my office. Every so often I’ll look up at them and dwell a little on memories, sounds wierd don't it? :roll:

This concludes the pictorial, hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Thanks for looking...

Attachments

• Aug29$12.JPG
    Aug29$12.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 157
  • Aug29$13.JPG
    Aug29$13.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 157

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Ray, What your saying makes perfect sense to me...

I felt it would be right to let everyone know the remainder of the lumber from this log has been sold. I'll end up slicing a few more 9/4 slabs off the two remaining sides, but after that the rest has been spoken for.

If someone is looking for 24" long, 14 - 16" wide and 9/4" thick guitar blanks, I will have lots of them forsale. Or I could resaw 9/4 into 2 4/4 book matched sets too, however those would need to be sold in 2' increments starting at 4'.

Thanks

Jeff,

Beautiful looking wood. I like it a lot. Are all of the 9/4 slabs into the sapwood?

Thanks for sharing the discovery process.

Chuck

J

jeff...

Chuck there's a mix, some are mostly sap wood and some are mostly heart wood. Resawing the 9/4 slabs into two 4/4's should produce some book matching of the heart wood.

I still need to edge the slabs @ 16" wide, I'm really not looking forword to it, @ 15 foot long, they are pretty heavy. But has to be done, so I'll try and make the best of it.

I have a few 9/4 x 16" x 2' guitar blanks spoken for, but still have lots 9/4 x 15' long slabs left. If your looking for some book matched sets PM me and we can work through the details.

Thanks

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
This has truly been an awesome thread, Jeff!!!!:eusa_danc

Now I have a great appreciation for what goes into producing some very fine looking lumber!

Thanks again for "walking us through" this very laborious task!!!

It must be time for ya to take a wee rest!!!!!:lol:

Thanks Again!!!

Wayne

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I enjoyed this little journey.. Thanks for the pics. I think that tacking a little memory on the wall is pretty cool. I can envision one day, having a whole wall covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS