Picking A New Riding Mower

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
One step up from a Brigs though. Tecumseh was better. Now Kawasaki or Suzuki unless a small push mower with a Honda.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
My zero turn Husky never failed me had it for 5 years before moving here. Zero turn is a great machine.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I do wish I had a zero as most of my yard is triangles. Worried about the steepness of slopes though. I was warned off them but I think it may not be true.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I do wish I had a zero as most of my yard is triangles. Worried about the steepness of slopes though. I was warned off them but I think it may not be true.
I mow on the side of a major slope near the water... Im quite certain its the opposite about slopes. they have a very low center of gravity and are much heavier (commercial mowers anyhow) this one weighs 1200#.

Allrightnow

New User
Blair
FWIW, I have a John Deere X330 from a dealer with an 18 hp Briggs maybe. Not sure at this time of night. Dang fine mower in my opinion. Seems to be better put together than the Lowe’s models although that may be a figment of my imagination.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
300 series has the weak trans. I believe. If your lot is flat and never pull any tools, it will work fine. Hills kill them. K46 I believe. I used a little trailer to move dirt and gravel around my lot, and that is all it took. Mine is a K56 and I think it is the 500 series with the 66, but this is testing my memory. On the ZTR mowers, there are similar grades from cheap to pro.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
The base model X300 had the TT K46, which is a light-duty trans intended for a dedicated lawn-mower, (i.e. grass only on a residential lot). The higher-end X300 series, like the X320 and better as the poster above mentioned, stepped up to the K58 which is a definite upgrade.

The X500 series steps yet again to the K72B, (a very heavy-duty trans), and stays there for the entire X500 line, w/ the exception of the K72A on the 540 series, which is the same trans w/ a secondary filter. All good stuff regardless.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Ah, That's good. K58 is much better. When I looked several years ago, I guess I only looked at the base. 72 will support a small tractor.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS