Picked up the free lathe

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks to Kent for making this available and the friendly visit.

372F3600-DFA5-4032-BF5F-139D9F4105CF.jpeg

B57B1A10-D6C6-438F-B91C-4C2893B9C391.jpeg

5EEA8C55-7B56-4D07-B76D-5FEC8A4D8ABA.jpeg

489B4AF1-0185-4A57-A7D7-8500726BC59F.jpeg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
WOW!
I think that is a REALLY cool lathe - will one of you students likely end-up with it?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
WOW!
I think that is a REALLY cool lathe - will one of you students likely end-up with it?
I hope not, at least for many years. I have a couple other small ones I hope to set them all up so I can have multiple projects going all the time.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The oil cup is empty, but it rolls freely, I’ll be sure to oil it before I hook up a motor.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The 1935 catalog doesn't show the oil filler cup. There is no seal on the ends so too much oil drips out. I know this from past personal experience.

1   Delta Cat. 1935 copy1.jpg
a cut from the 1935 Delta catalog from vintagemachinery.org

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I just happened to run across this possible design detail that Delta seems to think can be done if you have another tool rest.
For your morning amusement:
1   Lathe.jpg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like a justifiable use for elbow grease, Scotch Brite, and emery cloth.
It ought to clean up very well.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
In the picture of the tailstock what is the knurled knob at the right end used for? Looks like the stem on a wristwatch.

Roy G

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Oh, somebody stuck the screw post in the tailstock. That should go in the head for mounting small parts of wood. I have an extra live center #2 MT from my other lathe that I will use.

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Oh, somebody stuck the screw post in the tailstock. That should go in the head for mounting small parts of wood. I have an extra live end #2 MT from my other lathe that I will use.
WOW! that was a #2 MT headstock and tailstock? I just figured it was a #1...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yes, when I was looking for a certain type live center for my big lathe the biggest I could find was #2. I had to buy an adapter from #2 to #4 to fit my tailstock.

I was also a little surprised that this one is #2, sometimes we have good surprises.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS