Picked up the free lathe

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks to Kent for making this available and the friendly visit.

372F3600-DFA5-4032-BF5F-139D9F4105CF.jpeg

B57B1A10-D6C6-438F-B91C-4C2893B9C391.jpeg

5EEA8C55-7B56-4D07-B76D-5FEC8A4D8ABA.jpeg

489B4AF1-0185-4A57-A7D7-8500726BC59F.jpeg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
WOW!
I think that is a REALLY cool lathe - will one of you students likely end-up with it?
I hope not, at least for many years. I have a couple other small ones I hope to set them all up so I can have multiple projects going all the time.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The oil cup is empty, but it rolls freely, I’ll be sure to oil it before I hook up a motor.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The 1935 catalog doesn't show the oil filler cup. There is no seal on the ends so too much oil drips out. I know this from past personal experience.

1   Delta Cat. 1935 copy1.jpg
a cut from the 1935 Delta catalog from vintagemachinery.org

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I just happened to run across this possible design detail that Delta seems to think can be done if you have another tool rest.
For your morning amusement:
1   Lathe.jpg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like a justifiable use for elbow grease, Scotch Brite, and emery cloth.
It ought to clean up very well.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
In the picture of the tailstock what is the knurled knob at the right end used for? Looks like the stem on a wristwatch.

Roy G

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Oh, somebody stuck the screw post in the tailstock. That should go in the head for mounting small parts of wood. I have an extra live center #2 MT from my other lathe that I will use.

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Hank
Corporate Member
Oh, somebody stuck the screw post in the tailstock. That should go in the head for mounting small parts of wood. I have an extra live end #2 MT from my other lathe that I will use.
WOW! that was a #2 MT headstock and tailstock? I just figured it was a #1...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yes, when I was looking for a certain type live center for my big lathe the biggest I could find was #2. I had to buy an adapter from #2 to #4 to fit my tailstock.

I was also a little surprised that this one is #2, sometimes we have good surprises.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS