Philly style jack plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
This is a philly style wooden jack plane I made about a month ago. I used the links in this web page as references http://www.mwells.org/woodworking/planemaking/philly-style-jack-plane.

It is made by laminating similar to the Krenov style, but you make the philly style mouth. The body is hard maple, the handle and strike button are rosewood. The wedge is a bit of redheart. It has a brass inlay in the mouth (forgot picture). I made the blade from a 4" x 1 3/4"x 1/4" O1 tool steel, hardened and tempered. May have tempered a bit too much but it still cuts pretty well. Takes a nice thick shaving on red oak, which is what I want from this. It will be used to knock down high spots on rough wood. It seems too chatter a little on hickory, but I don't use it that much so I don't care. I tried to bevel the edges, but did a miserable job. I want to make a long jointer and a high angle smoother, but wanted to try it out on something else first.

IMG_20111026_073653.jpg

View image in gallery

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
That looks awesome! :icon_thum Thanks for sharing the info. this is definitely going on my to do list!

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS