Phil Soper on Canoes - TWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Phil gave a great presentation tonight at the Triangle Woodworkers Association monthly meeting. (http://www.trianglewoodworkers.com/) Besides his general talk on various designs, sources and methods, he brought his forms, milled some strips, showed several ways to assemble the strips, did some fiberglass work, made a few oops, and entertained the crowd. Got a few laughs before he even started when during the business meeting it was discussed that the TWA was temporarily running in the red because of guest speaker fees running up to $1500 - $2000. (including weekend workshops). His eyes were bulging, lips drooling wondering where his fee was!

He gave a short pitch for NCWW.net, encouraged them to participate in our outreach program which seemed enthusiastically received. (hint: we could use some new blood in our program - you receive much more than you give!)

In return, let me invite you all to consider TWA. It's not a competing organization but complimentary. They are heavily involved in Toys for Tots. If memory serves, last year over 1500 wooden toys were made. Their modest dues cover the nationally known speakers. (Phil was insulted that he was not referenced as a "professional"). For example, November we will have Michael Fortune as a free Friday night speaker and giving a workshop over the weekend for a modest fee. I believe (I'm pretty new so I'm not sure (or is it I'm pretty sure but I'm not new)) you are allowed your first meeting free as a guest. So try it out, usually 3rd Tuesday, 7:00 @ Klingspor Raliegh

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Workshop info for MCF please please please!!!! (Someone may still have my check for the last one that didn't happen?) Also, how does one join TWA?

K

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Oh, BTW, don't worry about Phil's fee. He's pulled down so much as an NCWW executive board member he really doesn't need the money.

:gar-Bi

K

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
agrees with Kevin....lol. as far as joining just come to a meeting and sign up. We also gave them am invitation to join us on local outreach events which should strenghten the ties between the two groups. By the way great post John

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Workshop info for MCF please please please!!!! (Someone may still have my check for the last one that didn't happen?) Also, how does one join TWA?

K
What is MCF?

as far as membership, did you click on the TWA link that John has in his post??? (Did he add that later?)

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Oh, BTW, don't worry about Phil's fee. He's pulled down so much as an NCWW executive board member he really doesn't need the money.

K

Don't forget to include all of the money he has gotten from providing fellow NCWWers with solid doors, cabinets, light fixtures, countertops and other useful and reusable items. :gar-Bi

(for those who don't know, Phil has graciously provided all of these things to NCWWers at no charge on many, many occasions)

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
What is MCF?

Who, not what.

Geez, Hank, do you need everything spelled out for you?

Oh, wait. I already knew the answer to that...

:rotflm:

Michael C Fortune; god of modern furniture design and brilliant builder.

K

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member

K

Kevin,

I'm afraid that I shredded your check from last year, so you will have to send me another.

You can join TWA at the link provided above. There is a membership box on the left which will grant you the ability to give us some of your money - and the right to spend the weekend with Michael.

Once you join, let me know and I will give you my address to reserve a spot with a check.

And no, I didn't see Phil's presentation as it was my son's birthday. I figured I would watch the video - but our AV guy was sick. Sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men ----

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Jeff there was video taken....should be a classic...probably filed under "Professionally gives free boat building lessons"

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Phil gave a great presentation tonight at the Triangle Woodworkers Association monthly meeting. (http://www.trianglewoodworkers.com/) Besides his general talk on various designs, sources and methods, he brought his forms, milled some strips, showed several ways to assemble the strips, did some fiberglass work, made a few oops, and entertained the crowd. Got a few laughs before he even started when during the business meeting it was discussed that the TWA was temporarily running in the red because of guest speaker fees running up to $1500 - $2000. (including weekend workshops). His eyes were bulging, lips drooling wondering where his fee was!

He gave a short pitch for NCWW.net, encouraged them to participate in our outreach program which seemed enthusiastically received. (hint: we could use some new blood in our program - you receive much more than you give!)

In return, let me invite you all to consider TWA. It's not a competing organization but complimentary. They are heavily involved in Toys for Tots. If memory serves, last year over 1500 wooden toys were made. Their modest dues cover the nationally known speakers. (Phil was insulted that he was not referenced as a "professional"). For example, November we will have Michael Fortune as a free Friday night speaker and giving a workshop over the weekend for a modest fee. I believe (I'm pretty new so I'm not sure (or is it I'm pretty sure but I'm not new)) you are allowed your first meeting free as a guest. So try it out, usually 3rd Tuesday, 7:00 @ Klingspor Raliegh

As current president of TWA Thank you for the Kudos and updates .
However , There is no way i could or want to insult Anybody , most of all an individual as outstanding as Phil .
I have know Phil for few years and consider him a good friend.

We are all mostly professionals at what we do, but i am not a professional speaker .
The professionals, as I corrected myself for all to hear , in my board review were the National woodworking professionals ie: Brian Boggs, Christopher Schwarz, among others that
TWA hired for presentations and workshops - and yes they are costly but worth every penny.

Also Phil's eyes were NOT bulging, etc . when i stumbled on my words. And FYI - he was compensated for his Great presentation.
As a member here also since 2005 , compliments are always good to see and hear, negative comments even in jest - not helpful.

Pete

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
I think all of us who know Phil knew that the eye bulging part was a joke, so no worries.

Now that same group who knows Phil might be somewhat split on their assessment of his drooling, however.

Sounds feasible to me.

K

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Pete, I'm sorry if any of my comments seemed to be negative, just trying to be humorous as it was at the meeting, and no one, including Phil took it as an insult and everyone there understood that you just made a bad choice of words which you corrected. Just trying to give another example of how much Phil contributes his talents and to drum up more members for TWA

John

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was honored to be asked to do this class and happy to see the keen interest

Now I am thinking of how to do this again as a workshop for NCWW

And I appreciated that TWA paid my after-hour nursing cost - very nice

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor