phiel/ Swiss Made carving tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbrown

Bill
User
Anybody know if these ever go on sale? I'm needing to buy a number but they are not cheap. I own many and am willing to trade if anybody has an interest.

These are the tools I need/want....

Fishtail: 1/F14, 3/F12, 4/F16, 5/F12, 5/F18
Curved gauges: 2/16, 2/30, 5/35, 5/50, 6/12
Veiner: 11/3
Straight: 1/15, 1/20, 1/30, 1/35, 1/40, 1/45
V-Tool: 12/6, 12/8
Skew: 1s14
Macaroni: 23/12

I have duplicates of 9/5, 9/7, 8/10 plus a lot of others that I'd be willing to trade +/- cash.

Thanks,

--Bill

PS - If Larry Rose, of Ahoskie, NC is reading this I want to express my heartfelt thanks for letting me use your shop yesterday! Larry cut, jointed, squared up, and planed basswood carving blanks for me. I'm getting started on some traditional Bellamy Eagles.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Woodcraft has them on sale a couple of times a year - usually 10% off, but I believe I saw them 15% off at least once.

I bought several the last time I was in Germany at about 20% off US price. :D

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Bill, Woodcraft definitely puts those carving tools on sale from time to time. November sales (Black Friday etc.) are coming up if you can wait that long. There may be a day in there that these go on sale.

Another option to consider, have you used any of the Flex Cut chisels? USA made and I like them. Could work for some of your fish tails, v-gouging and straight chisels. Woodcraft sells them but so do other vendors. Pricing is more competitive.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Don't the Swiss tools use a different numbering system for the curves than the other carving tool makers like Two-Cherrys? Or am I mis-remembering things?

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I believe the numbering system is different between English and Swiss. Don't know about German.

I buy all my Pfeil tools from Chipping Away in Canada. I've found their normal prices are 10-15% lower than anywhere else. Check them out. You can order online but I recommend calling. They are excellent people to deal with.

bbrown

Bill
User
Many thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Even 10% is substantial when buying a number of these tools!

I'm attaching photos of a traditional New England eagle that I carved. I want to do more of these and expand a bit into scrolls, flags and banners that were used the originals. Working on my carved letters now.
2006_photos_547.jpg

July_2015_024.JPG

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Many thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Even 10% is substantial when buying a number of these tools!

I'm attaching photos of a traditional New England eagle that I carved. I want to do more of these and expand a bit into scrolls, flags and banners that were used the originals. Working on my carved letters now.
2006_photos_547.jpg

July_2015_024.JPG

Gorgeous work Bill!!!
How is the gold applied? (it is just sprayed, or is it gilding?)

bbrown

Bill
User
Yes, it is actual gold leaf. I bought a few "books" of leaves and applied them with gesso (glue) and a gilder's brush. It was long ago, so I will have to review what I did and refresh myself on the techniques. Paul White (Sandwich. Mass) has a great book on carving this eagle. I think it's published by Schiffer.

--bb

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes, it is actual gold leaf. I bought a few "books" of leaves and applied them with gesso (glue) and a gilder's brush. It was long ago, so I will have to review what I did and refresh myself on the techniques. Paul White (Sandwich. Mass) has a great book on carving this eagle. I think it's published by Schiffer.

--bb
Thank you - that makes it that much more special!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wonderful work there. I only wanted to make sure you were aware of the difference between the Swiss and other Carving tool numbering systems. Pretty much if you stick to one or the other you will not have a problem. It is only when you mix them that it becomes a problem. You are obviously well beyond that level of expertise, so carry on and ignore my original comments.

Those pieces look tremendous. You obviously don't need any of my amateur advice.

MDWine

New User
Michael
. . . I'm attaching photos of a traditional New England eagle that I carved . . .
2006_photos_547.jpg

July_2015_024.JPG

Really beautiful, and nicely done sir. I am definitely a fan of these. Butz did a show on these, a more "stylized" version however. I don't know that I have the patience for this kind of detail!
Thanks for sharing it!

Michael

bbrown

Bill
User
Thank you Mike. Here's a few photos of my current carvings: I'm working on lettering and starting to carve an 1840's Bellamy Eagle....

--Bill
DSC03485.jpg

DSC03510.jpg

DSC03499.jpg

--Bill

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Bill the carving looks great. On the tool request its tough going trying to find Swissmade tools. They're pricey from the start and they seem to hold value when resold. Other brands might be a value so searching around and patience is in the mix.

After seeing some impressive carvers working in lower relief than you are doing on the eagle, I recall comments made by Wallace Gusler. His advice in a nutshell was use the tool that you can keep in your hand the longest. Changing tools frequently takes too much time. Looking at Allan Breed and Wallace working I noticed a couple things they do to work curves of different sweeps without changing tools.

They both round over several gauges. The edge is not flat is what I mean. This allowed them to roll the tip on some odd curves as opposed to stamping with the perfect sweep. I have adapted this method for curves I can not stamp with the ideal sweep. I imagine you are making due with your tools doing the same thing?

I am just stuck on "reusing" old files. I grind them to all kinds of curves. They work well for stamping. Additionally, I use an old Woodmizer bandsaw blade to make curves to stamp out C scrolls and acanthus leaves. Its cheap and they work. The springy steel holds an edge very well and there are lots of options if you have a grinding wheel and some patience.

If I see or hear of any carvers wanting to "lighten-up" a little, I'll send word.

Dan

bbrown

Bill
User
Hi Dan,

You make some great points. I always learn from your posts. You are right about the carving chisels. I think rounded edges can add a lot of flexibility to an individual chisel. Some of the manufacturers, such as Stubai, make them that way. I have a 5 sweep Stubai and find that I can do a lot more with it than with a comparable sharp edged Swiss Made.

Another modification is that promoted by Chris Pye is an inside bevel he puts on on all (I think) of his carving tools. The normal outside bevel and the additional inside bevel are both at about 10 degrees making a net 20 degree bevel. He states that this makes carving much, much easier. I have yet to try this on my tools, but it makes sense.

Sounds like you are really getting some great use from old files and bandsaw blades. So much of what we do is just up to our "Yankee" creativity and ability to make due with the materials we have at hand. No need to buy so much stuff!

No worries about the tools I am looking for. I need to practice what I preach, and make due with the already large collection that I have.

I attached some update photos on the Bellamy Eagle carving - almost done. I'm thinking I might gold leaf it, and paint the shield in traditional red, white, and blue.....

DSC03522.jpg

DSC03520.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS