Phenolic Resin from Bruce

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I decided to make up some zero clearance inserts (ZCI) for my Grizzly table saw. I am using some phenolic resin that I got from @sawman101 (Bruce).

I cut strips to width on the table saw, cut curves over sized on the bandsaw and used a flush trim bit on the router. Drilled a finger hole and rounded over all the edges with a small router clamped in a vice upside down.

20191020_211935.jpg

20191021_193350.jpg

I drilled and tapped some holes for 1/4-20 set screws for leveling.

A few observations:
Cutting a 1/2" hole in the phenolic resin took more effort that I expected on the drill press.
Tapping the holes has also been a bit of a challenge. The resin seems to melt a bit and gum up the tap. I can get "ok" results, but not great.

It will be nice to have the inserts handy when I need/want them and not worry about it costing you $40 a pop.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Those look really nice!! I found that tapping with a little bit of machine oil works well, and go slow. You have to drill the hole to the size the tap requires too, close won't work very well. I find this material works really nice after you learn how to handle it. I also got some from Bruce, and have made somethings with it, very versatile for jigs and other stuff around the shop.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Those look really nice!! I found that tapping with a little bit of machine oil works well, and go slow. You have to drill the hole to the size the tap requires too, close won't work very well. I find this material works really nice after you learn how to handle it. I also got some from Bruce, and have made somethings with it, very versatile for jigs and other stuff around the shop.

Holy Crap! What a difference. I was using the closest fractional equivalent (13/64") instead of a #7 bit since I didn't have one. I got a Vermont American 21666 Size 1/4 x 20 NC Tap No 7 Drill Bit Combo from Amazon for $6. The #7 bit was larger than the 13/64" bit, so the holes were on the small side. I also used the Vermont American tap instead of the Harbor Freight one that I had. A little 3-in-1 oil just to throw everything but the kitchen sink at it.

The tap went in smooth and effortlessly. Shavings were actually being cut from the resin, there was no gumming up of the tap, and the tapped hole was very clean. Before I was getting a bit of blowout on the back side as the tap would exit the hole. Thanks for the tips!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Nicely cut.

One observation with all plastics. In your picture you see the plastic mushrooming out a bit. To prevent this, make sure the hole passing through the material is equal to the screws' outside thread diameter + .001 - .002 wider. Then, make sure to counter sink the screw just slightly.

Then the screw will not do what you see in your picture.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
In your picture you see the plastic mushrooming out a bit.

I was plagued by that issue. The backs were blowing out even worse. I think it was the result of the searing hot, dull tap that was all gummed up with melted resin as it busted through the back side. With the #7 bit, a non-Harbor Freight tap and and a drop of oil the exit holes were super clean. The tap wasn't even warm to the touch. A slight countersink on the back side is a good idea. I can definitely see how that would help.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I could not for the life of me figure out why you were having a problem with this. :rolleyes:Phenolic works easy IMO. Then I saw the words HORRIBLE FRIGHT. :eek:Then it all became clear.....;):p

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS