Phenolic Ply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael S.

New User
Mike
Hello All,

I am looking to purchase several sheets of 3/4" phenolic plywood. I know about the stuff Woodcraft sells, but I need full sheets and the stuff they sell is only offered in smaller pieces. I've corresponded with Roberts Plywood in NY, and they will ship me what I want, but the cost of shipping is almost as much as the plywood itself!

Does anyone know of a supplier in the NC/SC area that offers phenolic ply in full sheets? I have a trailer and am willing to travel several hours to get what I'm looking for... Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Mike

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Mike, phenolic plywood is used on concrete forms. Check in the yellow pages under concrete accessories. It won't be that pretty green stuff that Woodcraft sells. Klingspor also sells phenolic plywood. Look in the yellow pages for plywood distributors. Here in the Raleigh area, we have both Diamond hill, and Georgia Pacific. I don't know if either stock phenolic though. Check with concrete forming contractors, as they most likely will know where to get replacement sheets.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I got a sheet at White Cap Supply in Charlotte for some concrete forms. Definitely not the same as the Phenolic I see used on jigs, table tops, etc. It has a soft plastic top coat that scratches easy. Concrete doesn't stick to it.:gar-Bi

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Try Tucker Kirby(on Shop Road) in Columbia. They specialize in concrete & masonry supplies & accessories. Also, Hughes Supply or Stock Supply (on Hardscrabble Road in Cola.) may have what you need. If you just need a smooth face PW ask for MDO. This is what sign makers use for outdoor signage. If you are doing multiple use concrete forms ask for 'Plyform' or its equivalent. This stuff has a treatment that prevents the cement in concrete from drying the wood in the veneer and aiding in its release when the forms are stripped.

...and they ain't that far from Lugoff!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Michael S.

New User
Mike

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Have you seen FinnForm? http://www.pdusa.com/products/finnform.htm It's a hard phenolic coated Finnish Birch plywood.

I think it's close to what you're after. Contact the concrete form suppliers mentioned above and see if they carry or can get it. It's a lot cheaper than what you are talking about and is probably available. Comes in any color you want as long as it's Red though. You can also check with Rental places. They sometimes carry it and are competitive.

Hank Knight

New User
Hank
Mike,

Marine Lumber Supply, LLC in N. Charleston had some nice looking 3/4" phenolic ply last time I was in there. I should say it looked to be phenolic ply, but I didn't ask. It appeared to be BB ply with a hard, smooth plastic outer lamination. They had it in several colors, and it was seriously expensive. You might want to give them a call and inquire. They're located in the old Navy Yard at 2060 N. Hobson Ave. Phone: (843) 554-2425. Ask for "Cujo" - seriously. He runs the place and is a very nice guy. Don't let the name scare you off. They cater to the boat building industry and have some interesting stock.

Hank

Michael S.

New User
Mike
Well... good news and bad news. The bad news is that Marine Lumber Supply in N. Charleston is out of business... So that was a dead end. However, I did discover that the Hardwood store in Gibsonville, NC can get the Finnform for me... And, they were nice enough to tell me who thier supplier is. A friend of mine who owns a cabinet shop here in Lugoff has an account with the supplier, so it looks like I have finally found my local source...

A big thumbs-up to the Hardwood Store! I have never been there (no affiliation), but I definitely like the way they do business and want to pay them a visit sometime!

Thanks to all for your suggestions!

Now I've got to get busy building that outfeed table!

Mike

Hank Knight

New User
Hank
Mike,

Sorry about the dead end. I haven't been to Marine Lumber Supply in a while, so thanks for the heads up! It was a neat place. Sorry to hear they've folded. Let us know about the phenolic ply you get locally. I've kinda had my eye out for it.

Hank

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Mike,
How much was NC Hardwood asking?

Coble Trench and Safety has 3/4" 4x8 sheets of FinnForm for $125. This is the same stuff Woodpecker is selling. They have locations scattered around the Carolinas.

Michael S.

New User
Mike
Tarhead,
Don't remember exactly, but NC Hardwood's price was a bit more than the Coble Trench and Safety price you've quoted... In fact, $125 is pretty close to my source's cost and he supposedly is buying it wholesale. I will follow-up with Coble Trench and Safety, as they have an office in several locations close-by...

I'm going to Charlotte this morning to pick up some Finnform from the wholesaler... I'll let yall know know that goes.

Mike

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
Just out of curiosity why not just laminate your outfeed table top - phenolic ply seems pretty pricey to basically do the same thing. Laminate at Habitat Restore is relatively cheap. I have never seen any PP but understand what it is. As I said, just curious.

Michael S.

New User
Mike
All,

Made the trip to Charlotte yesterday and came home with four sheets of very nice looking deep red/brown phenolic ply... I think it's going to work very nicely! The lady at Dealer-imports confrmed that the stuff I purchased is identical to the stuff that Woodcraft sells except for the color...

Tarhead, I also called Coble Trench and Safety and verifyed that they do, indeed stock 4' x 8' x 3/4" sheets of finnform at $125 per sheet... at least the store in Charlotte does. Nice thing about that is that they (Coble Trench and Safety) have stores in Myrtle Beach, Charleston, and several other cities around the southeast... And, $125 per sheet is actually quite reasonable.

Mike, you are correct... Laminate would pobably be just as effective and equally slippery so long as you kept it waxed. I just wanted to find and try some of the stuff I had been reading so much about in the magazines. I can confirm that it is really slippery! I had to run a tie down around the back of the sheets in the bed of my truck to make sure they didn't just slide out on acceleration! The first thing I'm building with it is an outfeed table for my shop... I will try and take pictures and post them once completed.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas/suggestions... This website is a great resource for a beginning woodworker like myself!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS