Performax 16-32 Plus Drum Sander

BKHam

Bradley
User
16 inch wide drum, open ended so you could do 32 inch wide stock. you can see from picture that its not on the factory stand. i had it on a shop made stand but i have the factory stand as well. Comes with a couple rolls of sand paper.

i can leave the stand disassembled for transport or put the stand back together for you. the stand has locking castors built in.

motors work well. i have had a little trouble getting the feed belt to track perfectly. i am guessing someone with a little more time could tweak settings without issue.

$600
20200105_142700.jpg
20200105_142700.jpg
20200105_142705.jpg
20200105_142705.jpg
71aRfw56QrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
20200105_142700.jpg20200105_142705.jpg71aRfw56QrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

rcarmac

Robert
Corporate Member
This might be a stupid question, but is Performax and Jet from the same manufacturer

Raymond

Raymond
Corporate Member
Quite a few woodworking tools are made at the same factory - the only difference is the branding and or color.

BKHam

Bradley
User
sounds about right. i think performax might now be branded as supermax also. they look exactly the same.

ste6168

Mike
Senior User
This might be a stupid question, but is Performax and Jet from the same manufacturer
I could certainly be wrong, but I was under the impression the company who essentially invented the 16-32, was initially Performax, who was then bought out by/rebranded as Jet, then Jet moved production oversees and that original company rebranded again as Supermax, which was then bought by Laguna tools.

Reading that just sounds ridiculous, but...

JonB

Jon
User
I could certainly be wrong, but I was under the impression the company who essentially invented the 16-32, was initially Performax, who was then bought out by/rebranded as Jet, then Jet moved production oversees and that original company rebranded again as Supermax, which was then bought by Laguna tools.

Reading that just sounds ridiculous, but...
You are correct in that Performax was the initial company producing these drum sanders and the progression to Jet. Jet still produces drum sanders under the Jet name. Supermax is a separate company that produced a very similar product with some minor changes, you are also correct that Supermax has been bought by Laguna.
The one take a way that you can get from all this is the age of the Performax drum sanders, Jet purchased Performax in 1999 so anything under the Performax brand is older than that.
Looking at the picture of the one for sale, looks like there were some infeed belt tracking issues and it will need a new infeed belt. Parts for the Performax model should be the same as the early Jet models, shouldn't be a problem getting an infeed belt.

Last edited:

ste6168

Mike
Senior User
You are correct in that Performax was the initial company producing these drum sanders and the progression to Jet. Jet still produces drum sanders under the Jet name. Supermax is a separate company that produced a very similar product with some minor changes, you are also correct that Supermax has been bought by Laguna.
The one take a way that you can get from all this is the age of the Performax drum sanders, Jet purchased Performax in 1999 so anything under the Performax brand is older than that.
Looking at the picture of the one for sale, looks like there were some infeed belt tracking issues and it will need a new infeed belt. Parts for the Performax model should be the same as the early Jet models, shouldn't be a problem getting an infeed belt.
Yeah, but my understanding is Jet bought the factory/employees/rights toPerformax, then when they moved the production oversees and closed the US factory, all those guys opened it back up, producing the Supermax line. Now Jets are slightly different, in appearance, at least.

I can’t remember when I read that all, but I do seem to recall it for some reason. I was researching these sanders pretty in-depth a while back, which Is when I stumbled upon the info. Never ended up with one in my shop, yet.

TB2

Kent
User
Not sure of the name changes. Performax started it all. Bought one 17-18 years ago. Performax that is. It’s retired now but in the background in case the Jet 22-44 dies. Don’t think I would take what Bradley is asking for his. But they are great machines. Mine probably run 180 days throughout the year for 15 years without a hiccup.

Chips

Gill.
User
think that wood make a wonderful 91 birthday gift for myself
text me 704-975-7648
or call Chips:D

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS