Perfect hole

Curt W

New User
Curt
I’m working on a product that a customer wants a hole to add a wrist strap into. I’d love to drill that with no tear out and minimal sanding. What are y’alls suggestions?

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
A router will do the best job.

With a drill, the best results would be to tape the wood, use a sharp brad-point bit in a press, spin at relatively high speed, move slowly, duct collect/vacuum as you drill, and back up the first sign of chips or clogging. I usually shortcut most of these hoping for the best, but if I really need it clean, I do all six.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I like spade bits if you can find one small enough. Drill from one side until you see the tip coming through. Flip and drill from the other side.

Curt W

New User
Curt
A router will do the best job.

With a drill, the best results would be to tape the wood, use a sharp brad-point bit in a press, spin at relatively high speed, move slowly, duct collect/vacuum as you drill, and back up the first sign of chips or clogging. I usually shortcut most of these hoping for the best, but if I really need it clean, I do all six.
never thought about a router. Interesting

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
A bladed, not toothed forstner bit and clamped backer board is a safe bet, but some of us would use a spiral downcut router bit into a clamped backer board.

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
Frostner bit, Drill a pilot hole, Then drill the backside out part way, flip and drill the rest. No tearout and won't need a backer board

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I'd like to add a word of caution on the flip and restart in the punched out or pilot hole.
Not always does the bit center in the hole provided, thus leaving an offset shelf inside.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
A bladed, not toothed forstner bit and clamped backer board is a safe bet, but some of us would use a spiral downcut router bit into a clamped backer board.

My experiences also. The clamped backer board is the key. A new spot on the backer board for each new hole.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS