Pencil Boxes

Plunkett

Lee
Senior User
I made some pencil boxes for gifts for my children this year. I've mainly done larger projects to date, so this was a new one for me. As always, I forgot to take any WIP pictures except one while I was finishing them. I used this plan from Woodworkers Journal.

Milling to 1/8" was the most difficult part. A few pieces exploded on me even using a planer sled with the wood attached with carpet tape. I need to figure something else out and buy new pants. I used walnut, curly maple, and some canary wood I found at Klingspor's. I used some brass dowels for the butt joints on the walnut boxes. Those looked pretty sharp. I finished them wish blonde shellac buffed out with a coat of furniture wax. I have a couple leftovers, so I'll save those for some future gifts.

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Beautiful. Have you given thought to using the jointer instead of the planer ? Or adding stops on the front and back (waste blocks), this would help stabilize

Plunkett

Lee
Senior User
Beautiful. Have you given thought to using the jointer instead of the planer ? Or adding stops on the front and back (waste blocks), this would help stabilize

I did have multiple extra pieces on the sled assuming I'd get some snipe on the ends, but I wasn't expecting the explosion!! I never thought about the jointer though. What would that look like? I'm intrigued.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Something like this : The ends are made to replace

Attachments

• sled.jpg
    sled.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 141

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Very nicely done! I like the two compartment design.

Milling thin stock like that, I'd use a drum sander to get it to the final thickness if you have access to one. It would also do well for the curly & figured wood you used.

Plunkett

Lee
Senior User
Very nicely done! I like the two compartment design.

Milling thin stock like that, I'd use a drum sander to get it to the final thickness if you have access to one. It would also do well for the curly & figured wood you used.

That makes sense too. I wish I did have one. I'm trying to save for a drum sander and a dust collection upgrade now!

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
That makes sense too. I wish I did have one. I'm trying to save for a drum sander and a dust collection upgrade now!

I bought one last year and it's now one of my most used tools in the shop. I used it a lot recently to flatten some thin resawn boards to make cribbage boards. Final thickness was around 2-3mm. Works amazingly well.

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
I made some pencil boxes for gifts for my children this year. I've mainly done larger projects to date, so this was a new one for me. As always, I forgot to take any WIP pictures except one while I was finishing them. I used this plan from Woodworkers Journal.

Milling to 1/8" was the most difficult part. A few pieces exploded on me even using a planer sled with the wood attached with carpet tape. I need to figure something else out and buy new pants. I used walnut, curly maple, and some canary wood I found at Klingspor's. I used some brass dowels for the butt joints on the walnut boxes. Those looked pretty sharp. I finished them wish blonde shellac buffed out with a coat of furniture wax. I have a couple leftovers, so I'll save those for some future gifts.

View attachment 198977

View attachment 198978

View attachment 198979

View attachment 198980

View attachment 198981
A search for hand pane thicknessing jig will show some easy ways to get the thin stock you are looking for. Here are a few other boxes to occupy some time.

Attachments

• Box Sample.docx
    3.3 MB · Views: 110

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
A search for hand pane thicknessing jig will show some easy ways to get the thin stock you are looking for. Here are a few other boxes to occupy some time.
Thanks, Thanks a lot! I just spent a few hours chashing that rabbit! I have been wanting to make one since I saw Paul Sellers' version, then I saw Marty Backe's version...I thought I was only going to see rabbit hole, BUT, I found this one:
His video's leave a little to be desired IMHO, but the work is excellent and I think the design is REALLY good...

I also stumbled on this one:
and his final thought is to make a few "custom" thickness jigs 1/4, 3/8 etc. and that may be smarter... but I like the idea of the flexibility of an adjustable jig, and one where the "arms" move together I think is superior to the separate moving parts...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Pencil Box I made for my daughter as she was heard off to college. Fully dovetailed and the harp is as close as I could get to hers.
This photo was made several years after she finished college so it has held up well.

I really like the double decker design of yours, very innovative.

B1221717-E28D-447F-BD84-6FBF64B5C98B.jpeg

DDE20583-B094-452A-94DB-44D3B07046D3_1_201_a.jpeg

0C408B0B-97E0-4726-8E83-942EB9AA44D2_1_201_a.jpeg

Plunkett

Lee
Senior User
Thanks, Thanks a lot! I just spent a few hours chashing that rabbit! I have been wanting to make one since I saw Paul Sellers' version, then I saw Marty Backe's version...I thought I was only going to see rabbit hole, BUT, I found this one:
His video's leave a little to be desired IMHO, but the work is excellent and I think the design is REALLY good...

I also stumbled on this one:
and his final thought is to make a few "custom" thickness jigs 1/4, 3/8 etc. and that may be smarter... but I like the idea of the flexibility of an adjustable jig, and one where the "arms" move together I think is superior to the separate moving parts...
Ha! I did the same thing.

Plunkett

Lee
Senior User
Pencil Box I made for my daughter as she was heard off to college. Fully dovetailed and the harp is as close as I could get to hers.
This photo was made several years after she finished college so it has held up well.

I really like the double decker design of yours, very innovative.

View attachment 199001

View attachment 199002

View attachment 199003

Your joinery is much better! All credit to the Journal for the design though. It was fun to make. My oldest took it to school yesterday, so that puffed my chest a bit.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS