Pen Turners I have a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Awhile back I turned a Cherry burl piece to make a pen for my wife - she loves it but the problem with it is when she is writing with it the pen will turn and make the ink filler go back up into the pen - anyone know how to fix this

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
Sounds like the transmission might be bad. Don't know if there is a way to fix that other than replacing it. When it goes back up can you twist it open again, or how do you get the refill to come back out for writing?

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Sounds like the transmission might be bad. Don't know if there is a way to fix that other than replacing it. When it goes back up can you twist it open again, or how do you get the refill to come back out for writing?
+1

You might have to get creative on how to get it out, I know it's been done successfully but I don't know how.

jimwill48

James
Could be the transmission is not seated to thy correct depth. Look at the nib (tip) when twisting the pen. The tip should extend so far and then drop back a fraction, this locks the nib. it doesn't then the pen will close with pressure on the nib. It could be a bad transmission if so you will need to disassemble the pen bottom and replace, use aq set of cheap HF transfer punchs.

James

lonehunter

New User
Jeff
Could be the transmission is not seated to thy correct depth. Look at the nib (tip) when twisting the pen. The tip should extend so far and then drop back a fraction, this locks the nib. it doesn't then the pen will close with pressure on the nib. It could be a bad transmission if so you will need to disassemble the pen bottom and replace, use aq set of cheap HF transfer punchs.

James

I agree with Jim. If the transmission is seated to far in it will bottom out before it gets to the detent. One way to test this is to unscrew the refill a little bit and test it buy turning the trans like normal, you should see it lock into the detent.

To correct this problem you will need to remove the trans and re install it to the correct depth.

Jeff

Kalai

New User
Chris Kalai Allen
I also say it is the transmision, if you need another one I have extra, let me know, aloha.

Chris "Kalai"

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Thanks guys for the info = I will try taking it apart and see what happens - thanks for the link on the punches

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
I never found it all that easy to disassemble a pen

and have ruined a couple in the process. Some expert notes on this process might be beneficial.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I agree with Jim. If the transmission is seated to far in it will bottom out before it gets to the detent. One way to test this is to unscrew the refill a little bit and test it buy turning the trans like normal, you should see it lock into the detent.

To correct this problem you will need to remove the trans and re install it to the correct depth.

Jeff
I am sitting here with the pen - I screwed the refill out just a little and then turned the trans - I could fill it lock - I then screwed the refill back in while the trans was still locked into the detent - then tried to turn the trans back out of the detent and it would not move - I can see the ring around the trans that you go by when you press the trans in but barely - am I in to far with the trans?

jimwill48

James
Yup sounds like the trans is to deep. The line is just a guide (which I never go by). I don't think I ever seated a trans to the line. I usually seat so far try th refill, then go a bit deeper and so on till the refill is right.

James

lonehunter

New User
Jeff
I am sitting here with the pen - I screwed the refill out just a little and then turned the trans - I could fill it lock - I then screwed the refill back in while the trans was still locked into the detent - then tried to turn the trans back out of the detent and it would not move - I can see the ring around the trans that you go by when you press the trans in but barely - am I in to far with the trans?

Yes the trans is in to far. Basically your pen refill is bottoming out on the inside of the pen tip before the trans gets to the detent. Some how you need to remove it and re set it so it is not so deep.

Jeff

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
So how do you go about removing the transmission with the punch set?

Ken if you want to remove the transmission you will need to be able to get a punch down inside the pen the HF Set has a punch small enough to fit through the nib but I would be afraid you might damage the transmission. You may want to try using a pair of pliers to pull it out. Come to think of it I don't really know the best way without sitting down with the kit and looking at it to figure it out. That's the one kit I don't do a lot of right now and have not had to take one apart.

Rob

New User
Rob
You remove the nib first, through the transmission, then you remove the transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS