Pen/Pencil set

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkW

New User
Mark
My first attempt at this and while it seemed easier than I had thought it would be, I still had some issues. I had problems estimating how close to stop the turning to the barrell's to allow it to be exactly the correct size after sanding. Is there a general rule to this ?
I was using several grades of sandpaper from 80 to 1200 and it seemed that I pretty much had to get the correct diameter using 220 and by the time I got all the scratches out and had it up to 1200 I was just under the proper diameter.

It probably will come with experience, but any tricks would be appreciated.

Oh, the wood is a piece of walnut burl I found laying around.

Thanks for looking.
100_4548.jpg

cskipper

Cathy
I don't know of any trick to it - just practice. Those look great - where did you buy the kits?

MarkW

New User
Mark
The kits were the no-name ones from Klingspor. While I have very little experience with any of them, they seemed very easy to use.

dozer

Mike
Nice looking pens Mark. I'm just learning to turn myself but I turn the blank down real close to the bushing then I slow my lathe speed down to about 800 rpm and start sanding with very light pressure.
I start with 220 grit but it depends on how smooth you have gotten the blank as to what grit you start with.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I always turn them down to the bushings.. exactally, or under. Then when I build up the ca, I bring it up flush to the bushings.

MarkW

New User
Mark
clowman said:
I always turn them down to the bushings.. exactally, or under. Then when I build up the ca, I bring it up flush to the bushings.

dozer said:
I slow my lathe speed down to about 800 rpm and start sanding with very light pressure

I never even thought of either of these. I'll give both a try. Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS