Pen/Pencil and a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkW

New User
Mark
I bought a bag of pen blanks from Woodcraft the other day and got some wood that I do not recognize. I went ahead and turned a couple and really liked how it turned, it was like butter it cut so smooth. The wood seems a bit oily also which may explain it.

So would anyone care to enlighten me ?
As usual my photo skills leave alot to be desired, but I hope you can see it well enough to give me an idea.

Pens_mystery.jpg

Pens1_mystery.jpg

Last edited:
J

jeff...

Search me - looks like it may be from overseas - but nice pens you made there :icon_thum

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
It looks like Ebony Macacassar. Another could be Black and White Ebony. Terry

sapwood

New User
Roger
The pens look great, Mark :icon_thum
I have a small sample of Bocote and it looks like the wood block in your second sample. Thanks for posting, because I had forgotten what it was :drunken_s

Roger

dozer

Mike
The top blank I would say is marblewood the bottom one is Bacote. Nice job on the pens also.

MarkW

New User
Mark
Thanks guys ! I knew I could count on you to let me know what it was. I did a little reading about it (thanks DaveO) and I think I will grab some more for future projects.

I can't impress enough how easy this batch turned to a very fine finish.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
The top two are definately bocote as previously stated.It is a great turning wood as you have already found out.Considered a "trash wood" because it is so common the grain is wild.I rarely buy precut pen blanks.Get some wider stock and cross cut or bias cut it and see what you get. The figure in the grain is like Forrset Gumps chocolates, you never know what you are going to get in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS