Pen mandrel problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Roscoe

New User
William
I finally got an adaptor for my gf's old buffalo lathe that allows her to use a talon chuck. She now wants to turn a pen but we cannot figure out how to get the pen mandrel to attach. Craft supply says they don't sell anything except #1 or 2 morse taper and you cannot attach that to the jaws of the talon because it's not tapered. Any ideas??

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I've never seen a Buffalo lathe, but here's how it works on my Jet.

Remove the chuck. The headstock on my Jet is hollow and is a #2 MT. Insert the #2 MT end of the pen madrel into the headstock. On the tailstock end use a live center such at the Penn State Industries #2MT Pen Mandrel Saver to support the other end.

If your Buffalo lathe doesn't have a head stock with an internal MT then you won't be able to use a pen mandrel with a MT.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
That lathe isn't by any chance a metal lathe is it? Even most metal lathes have a Morse Taper. As Jim mentioned it should be inside the threads that you used to attach the chuck. The chuck is not needed for pen turning except to accurately drill the hole down the center of the blank. But that can also be done on a drill press.

William Roscoe

New User
William
If your Buffalo lathe doesn't have a head stock with an internal MT then you won't be able to use a pen mandrel with a MT.[/QUOTE

This is the problem. Any ideas of how a talon chuck could possibly hold it??

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Check out this pen mandrel http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKM-BL.html. It will fit a 1"x8 tpi head stock. If you don't have a 1"x8 thread you might be able to find an adapter for that.

That mandrel is going to be a lot less expensive than trying to cludge up something with a #2 MT inside and a cylindical outside to put in a chuck. That kind of MT adapter is just backwards from most MT adapters. It would cost you more to have one machined than buying a new lathe, I'd bet.

What is the model # on that Buffalo lathe?

aplpickr

New User
Bill
How about pics of headstock with and without the Talon chuck. More info would help us help you!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
you can get a mandrel without the MT several places on the web (Arizona silhouette comes to mind) but you will need pin jaws for the chuck. most mandrels I've seen the MT just unscrews from the mandrel. depending on what pen kit you are turning you may have to use extra bushings to take up any extra length on the mandrel. don't over tighten the tail stock! you will bend the mandrel. DAMHIKT:)

20141205_180808_resized.jpg20141205_180719_resized.jpg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If it unscrews and is a standard thread pitch, get a threaded rod coupling to match it and chuck that in a 3 jaw chuck. Otherwise, get some square stock and drill & tap to fit. The only disadvantage to using a chuck is having all those jaws hanging out to grab your hand or chisel when you least expect it.......

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
1/4" - 28 is a UNF thread pitch. I would think a couple of regular nuts slid together on the mandrel would suffice. If the mandrel is to be used on that lathe exclusively, one could align the nut faces and use a little Super Glue or Loc-Tite to set them in place.

William Roscoe

New User
William
The pen mandrel was easily tightened into the talon chuck and I made sure it was straight by sliding the tail stock up to the other end. Works great! Now it's time to get busy and make some Christmas presents!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors