What do you think about this

Do you use something like it?
Do you use a clamp to press the kits together
Have you made a homemade device to do this with

Me and the clamp method not getting alone

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have always used a Bessey K-body clamp to assemble my pens, I see no reason to use anything else. It serves double duty, and works well.

Dave:)

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I use one similar to that, I have also used clamps. The one thing about that press is that the plastic piece has a hole in it so you can put the nib in there and not mess it up or flatten if you press to tight. It's really a personal preference some people love them some people hate them. I feel like I have more control with one but again that is just me.

Rob

New User
Rob
I use a pen press similar to that. I've used clamps before, I prefer the press.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I made my own press. Not perfect but it works. I'm to cheap to buy a real one.

pen_press.jpg

jimwill48

James
I do it two ways. Most of the time I use a drill press. This is a great way because you have a great deal of "feel" when seating parts. Just turn a top punch to fit the chuck and use a piece of flat aluminum for the table. The other thing I use (rarely anymore) is an Arbor Press......

James

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I have used clamps, my vice, and even sometimes a little "back".

But now I have that exact one that you showed in the first post. Received it as a gift ... and it's awesome! No more ruining my clamps, or marring my vice ... it's quick, easy, and if you can get it on sale about the price of two clamps.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
That press is the best

After using make shift presses and clamps, I bought the Woodcraft version. It adjusts easily to any length pen and as pointed out the hole in the middle of the plastic piece is great for not marking up some pens. Quick set up and reliable results.

This press is worth every penny.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I use an arbor press. 20 bucks at HF. works fine. I glued a scrap piece of wood to the plunger.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Thanks guys for all of the input - I am not smart enough to make one and I rarely ever need a Bessey K - Plus I would not have anywhere to store the K's if I where to buy two of them - I have a small bench top drill press - I don't think that will work - So I think that I will order the one that I showed in the first post - It is on sale right now so I better get it

Thanks again

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
I've got the exact one like Jeremy said.And I love it!I wish I would have known :dontknow:.I already give my homemade one to a friend.If you want to go to my gallery and check it out.It's not that hard to make:nah:.If I can do it I know you can.

Scwood

New User
BigJoe
First you could try to use a block of wood with a v-stile rabbit in the middle with your vice.If you cut the block to right length,you wont over press.But if you go with the woodcraft type press(like I did),I would suggest cutting a board out of some type of hardwood to screw the base of the plate to.There is a little notch under the press's base for the board to fit.This will prevent warping of the press if you tend to over torque it like I do sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS