Pen Kits arrived, 2 more scrap pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
So I think I would be better off turning my wood working to something like, cutting firewood!

I was so excited about getting my next set of pen kits and blanks. 11 cigar kits. I cut the blanks to length with my new band saw, glued the tubes in and tuned the radio in to the Wednesday night bluegrass show, killed as much time as I could while the CA setup. Got my squaring tool on the drill and did one end, no problem finishing it up and the whole side split off. !$%& So I tried to square up the other blank and that one split out also.

Determined to finish a pen tonight, I fixed up another set of tubes and blanks. Squared them off just a tad bit short of flush so I wouldn't bust another set.

turned the blanks, and discovered that there was a small chunk knocked out right at the clip end on the inside piece. So I dropped some CA in it and saw dust, rubbed it in and put another drop of CA and a little more saw dust. Sanded and sanded, buffed and waxed. Assembled and realized stopping short of squaring off is not the best thing to do, left gaps and does not look good. But I do have a new pen in my pocket.

Cranked up my laptop and realized the CA on my finger tips would not let me log on to my notebook with the finger swipe

Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Some days you're the windshield:wsmile::wsmile:, some days you're the bug......:cry_smile:cry_smile

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
Some days you're the windshield:wsmile::wsmile:, some days you're the bug......:cry_smile:cry_smile

I have been the bug way too much, it is my turn to be the windshield. Getting to be a very expensive hobby. Not counting tools the two pens that I now have in my pocket cost about $200 a piece. I still have some pen kits left and plenty of wood kits. I really need to go watch or have somebody come by and make some pens. I have tried to tackle all this blind on my own and have not even worked with any wood projects in many many years.

Glennbear

Glenn
Despite our proximity I do not have the experience to be any help on pens. Perhaps someone else will chime in. Did PSI send you the pen making DVD. ? :wsmile:

Rob

New User
Rob
Your pen mill may not be sharp enough, I always use it very lightly, just shaving the wood. And I cut my blanks short enough so I don't have to mill them too much.

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
Your pen mill may not be sharp enough, I always use it very lightly, just shaving the wood. And I cut my blanks short enough so I don't have to mill them too much.

I thought I read somewhere or watch a video that said to cut about 1/4" long so you would have about 1/8" on each end and square off down.

The first pen I made successfully I cut to the exact length and it turned out fine.

James Davis

New User
James Davis
Ken,

I clamp the blanks in a vise when I am trimming them for a little support. I then trim them with a electric drill, not a cordless, the speed seems to work better. Not too much pressure and a high speed. One question though, Are you sanding the tubes so that the CA will have something to bite to? I have found the best way for me to rough up the tube is to lay a piece of drywall sanding grid abrasive on the bench and rub the tubes back and forth while rolling it along the abrasive.

James

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
Ken,

I clamp the blanks in a vise when I am trimming them for a little support. I then trim them with a electric drill, not a cordless, the speed seems to work better. Not too much pressure and a high speed. One question though, Are you sanding the tubes so that the CA will have something to bite to? I have found the best way for me to rough up the tube is to lay a piece of drywall sanding grid abrasive on the bench and rub the tubes back and forth while rolling it along the abrasive.

James

Thanks for the pointers, I am sanding but maybe I should let the glue setup for a night before trying to square off. I have been holding the blank with a pair of robo grip pliers and maybe I am pressing to hard. I will try putting in a vise and if I ever get a drill press I will try that

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
Make sure your trimmer is sharp, it makes a huge difference. I use a cordless drill and just hold the blank in my hand and trim slowly. You can also square the ends on a disk sander as long as you keep the tube square to the sanding disk.

As stated the side splitting is probably a result of not getting good glue bond. Sanding the tubes is important. Make sure your CA is fresh and if you continue to have problems with it, try Gorilla Glue or epoxy. With GG, put a piece of tape over the end so the GG won't push out the tube when it foams.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks for the pointers, I am sanding but maybe I should let the glue setup for a night before trying to square off.

Ken,

A sharp pen mill and very light pressure should be all you need to square the ends up. I leave my blanks about 1/16" long (protruding from the tubes) for squaring them up. You may want to pick up a diamond card hone to touch up the pen mill. (They are usually pretty inexpensive - $15-$20.)

Also, to speed up the CA drying, try some aerosol accelerator. CA will dry instantly with that stuff.

Keep at it. I have had a few blanks split like that both on the drillpress while squaring and on the lathe with dull tools and too deep of a cut. (Especially with slim line kits!:BangHead:)

Once you get in the swing, the pens are gonna fly outa your shop like its no tomorrow!:wsmile:

Wayne

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Good advice so far Ken. I am no expert but have made a few pens and broken a few as well:slap:.

I would be happy to show you what little I know:embaresse.

I had mentioned in one of your earlier threads that you are welcome to use my drill press/pen vise to drill your blanks.

I'm about 30 min. south of you.

If interested, PM me and we can set up a meet.

Good luck,

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wood species & grain also cause splitting. I saw a larger piece of coconut wood I thought I'd try to make pens from but the grain was so coarse it wouldn't withstand the end mill either.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I'm not that far away. schedule is wide open. I aint no Alex but I can give ya some pointers maybe.....:gar-Bi

Rob

New User
Rob
There's your problem, 1/4" is way too long. I go 1/16" or a hair longer on both ends. Make sure the brass is roughed up good, I use 220 and wrap it around the tube and twist. Glue should set up with in 30 minutes.

skeeter

New User
Charles
After drilling your blank, when you insert the tube, be sure it is snug at the ends. I have had drill bit to wobble and the tube would have a small gap on one end. When squaring up the blank end, wood would split. I also square the ends with disk on belt/disk sander.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I would take FredP up on his offer. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up I don't know how I've had success trimming them with my chop saw, but I do have a brand new Dewalt blade on it and I cut them really slow. I was noticing that if I cut them flush to the barrels that when the pen was assembled, the tip of it didn't come out as far as I wanted, so last time, I trimmed even the barrel down maybe 1/8" on the bottom blank and it was perfect. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS