Pen Blank Size ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
Question for all the pen turners here. I have yet to fire up my lathes but in anticipation of doing so in the not too distant future I would like to know the minimum size for pen blanks. I have large quantities of boards in various species but the wood I have is closer to 5/8" than 3/4". Thanks. :wsmile:

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Question for all the pen turners here. I have yet to fire up my lathes but in anticipation of doing so in the not too distant future I would like to know the minimum size for pen blanks. I have large quantities of boards in various species but the wood I have is closer to 5/8" than 3/4". Thanks. :wsmile:

It really depends on the pen itself but you will find that you will have plenty of room for Slimlines and even if you drill accurately the Wall Street style pens. If you start getting into the bigger pens then you usually need 7/8" or more. What pen kits do you have now or are you looking at?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
+1 That size should handle a lot of different types especially the slim lines. The key will be drilling them. I have some thicker stock if you want some practice.

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
Length is not as significant as diameter, but the minimum (since you're cutting your own from flat stock) is ~5", with the most common store-bought pen blank being 5-6". Beyond that, let your creativity be your guide. Welcome to the vortex, even though it's just a slight breeze at the moment...have fun!!

John Jankowski

John
Corporate Member
It depends on the shape of the pen. If you keep it straight along the line of the bushing all you need is just a little more than the bushing. If you add a "belly" to the pen of course you need thicker stock. BTW as long as yours blanks are straight the easiest way to drill them is on the lathe. You can get away with much thinner stock than you may think.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
the smaller the blank the greater the chance of it cracking or blowing apart when drilling. I've done a few that were borderline impossible. some did good and some didnt. bigger is easier.:gar-Bi 3/4" works for most kits just fine and 7/8" works better.:icon_thum contrary to popular belief pen blanks dont have to be perfectly strait and square in the beginning....:rotflm: they will be round [hopefully] in the end anyway.:rotflm:

Don Alexander

New User
Don
contrary to popular belief pen blanks dont have to be perfectly strait and square in the beginning....

and that is most definitely the truth :gar-La; some of the best looking pens i have made have been from gnarly, twisted, shriveled up and generally useless looking pieces of whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS