Pedestal Table Design Question

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good day to all,

I am building a 58 inch pedestal table and need to know how big the base should be to ensure that it is stable.

Where might I get this information? Is there some formula or might this information be published somewhere that eludes me? The base will be half-lapped 8/4.

Thanks, as always, for your thoughtful considerations...

Matt

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Is this a round table? I think that makes a difference.

On my dining table 42X84, the trestles are about 12" in from the long side table edge, and 20" from the ends.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I dont think youll find that generically published anywhere. It has to do with the entire tables center of gravity and a tipping load applied to it. I would call a tipping load equivalent to a 100# load to one side of the top to be a sufficient tipping load, as if a person was leaning/sitting on it. The center of gravity can vary greatly by materials and geometry of the base. As a rule, I would guess, You should be safe with the pedestals feet being the same size diameter footprint as the top. That could be decreased if more weight for the pedestal is down low (lowering the tables CG). One thing to think about, if it looks wrong ( base too small) it probably is. Sorry, I cant help more!.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
More a common sense thing, general rule of thumb 1/3 -2/3 base width to top, but that depends on height and loading conditions. I don't think there is a set rule. Engineering would look at 36% as a basis ratio to top, but that is for working platforms not tables. Chris's posting is good advice

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
It is round and will be a standard dining room table height of 29 inches. The top will be 1 and 1/2 inches thick. I want the base to be small enough so as to be unobtrusive but big enough to be stable.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
My breakfast nook table is 42" in diameter and the feet (4) touching the floor are ~32" apart. The "prehistoric claw feet" stick out a couple of inches beyond the hidden feet. The top is probably 1" thick with a 1 1/2" skirt; the pedestal is massive--~10" in diameter, but most likely built up. The legs/feet are hefty; i.e. the vertical center of gravity is probably reasonably in the middle of normal range. I think the key design dimension is the spacing of the feet is 80% of the table diameter. If you think your table is top heavy, I certainly would not recommend designing your table at any lower ratio than 80%. Chris's advice--"if it looks wrong it probably is"-- is right on. Taking the time to do an accurate scale drawing should give you a sense of the proportions of your design.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I'd go with Wiley's suggestion.

Personally I attack issues like this by making a mock up and testing it in reality, not relying on a chart.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS