Pedestal Table: Delivered---Final Post!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I delivered the table to Jacksonville, FL this weekend. Despite having to drive through torrential rain (with the tailgate down!), I managed to wrap it well enough to keep it dry. I am delighted to say it is delivered, set up, and we even had dinner on it...and they lived happily ever after! THE END

89Y%eM3SRAWEQ5IALI8Sig.jpg

------------

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Congratulations. I'm sure you are sleeping better now that it resides in it's new home.

Reactions: drw

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That table looks fantastic in that room. Well done!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Beautiful table, but it looks kinda lonely w/ just the dog in that big room. When do you make the chairs? ;)
Wow! I had not noticed that one of our dogs photo bombed the picture! Thank you for bringing that to my attention...I'll be sure to reprimand her. ;) I have never been in tune with trends in modern home decor, but according to my daughter it is very popular to have a table with unmatched....which is a good thing, I have never made a chair!

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Great looking table Donn. What did you finish it with?. Was going to call Sat and ser how you 2 were progressing but apparently work killed that thought. Glad everything went well

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
That base is impressive!

I am definitely out of tune on trends as well, when I was selling my house the realtor told me that gray was in. I never would have considered it but I followed her advise and house sold in a week.

..I really hope the walls in the pic are gray, lol, my eyes are getting abit wonky

Wow! I had not noticed that one of our dogs photo bombed the picture! Thank you for bringing that to my attention...I'll be sure to reprimand her. ;) I have never been in tune with trends in modern home decor, but according to my daughter it is very popular to have a table with unmatched....which is a good thing, I have never made a chair!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Great looking table Donn. What did you finish it with?. Was going to call Sat and ser how you 2 were progressing but apparently work killed that thought. Glad everything went well

Dirk, great to see you today at KE! Regarding the finish, here is the schedule I followed:
1) 2 parts Old Masters grain filler to one part Weathered Oak Stain (Minwax), applied with a brush, allowed to sit for 20 minutes and excess wiped off and dried for 24 hours.
2) A second coat of stain applied, allowed to sit for 20 minutes and excess removed.
3) After 24 hours of drying, I lightly sanded with 400 grit sandpaper, then began applying wipe-on poly (Minwax). The first two coats were gloss, all subsequent coats were satin finish. In total the top has 8 coats, the other table parts received six coats.
4) I sanded after every second coat with a 1000 grit sanding pad and a Festool finish sander. ( I really like this approach, it does a great job of removing nibs but you don't worry about sanding through the finish.)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors