Pedestal Table Build: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Several months ago my daughter asked if I would build her a pedestal table similar to one posted by Agrieco (Anthony). Ultimately it will be 96" long and 42" wide. I started the project in early June and have made reasonable progress. The feet and pedestals are taking shape. I laminated 8/4 white oak into blocks, which I subsequently shaped on the bandsaw. I then used Festool Rotex Sander (60 grit sandpaper) to smooth things out. I can't say enough about the Rotex, it makes quick work of smoothing out the rough work coming off the bandsaw (I have seen some folks use an angle grinder). As you can see in the picture below, I still have some shaping and smoothing to do, but I am getting there. Also, if you look closely at the top of the pedestal, you will see a domino (%$#&*). Although I didn't intend for this to show (I used them to register the 8/4 boards so they wouldn't slide during glue up); however, since it does show, I am calling it a "design element"...there is another one on the opposite side. All-in-all, I am happy with the progress to-date. Next up will be securing the posts to the feet and then adding molding to the bottom and top of the pedestal posts.

TTXp28+pStuS2E4lxha5Pw.jpg

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
How about the table top? This will be the show stopper when folks use it. Any leads on some wide boards?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looking good, I look forward to seeing more!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
How about the table top? This will be the show stopper when folks use it. Any leads on some wide boards?

Thanks Dan and others for your comments, I am appreciative! I am hopeful that Scott Smith will have some nice 5/4 boards when I get to the point of needing them. Originally, I called Scott about the 8/4 boards for the feet and pedestal, but he did not have any in his inventory and wouldn't have them for about 2 months. I found what I needed at the Hardwood Store. So far it has been a challenging, but fun, build. That said, it is big and getting bigger...not sure how I am going to deal with it on a daily basis, but I'll figure something out.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
. . . it is big and getting bigger...not sure how I am going to deal with it on a daily basis, but I'll figure something out.

I have the same problem w/ bigger, heavier pieces since I am a one (old) man shop. Fortunately I have a heavy duty rolling cart that is almost the same height as my work bench. When I need to move the bigger pieces I can slide them from one to the other. I also use some of the cheap moving blankets from Hobo Freight to help things slide easier.

Reactions: drw

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Steve, no - it is not a dowel but a domino. I didn't intend for it to show (I used them to register the boards so they wouldn't slide during glue up), but since it does show I am calling it a "design element"!

JimD

Jim
Senior User
That table looks like it will require some serious thinking to move around. I am working on a changing table/dresser for my latest grandchild and cut out the inner horizontal dividers Sunday to take about 20 lbs out of it's weight. After two hernia surgeries I have been warned not to get another, there wouldn't be much they could do. I need to recruit neighbors or something for bigger projects. But I think I will be OK on the current project. I may keep the top separate until delivery, however.

I will make myself a new dining room table sometime within the next year, hopefully in the next six months. I want it to be at least 8 feet long, possibly 10 feet. I am seriously considering making the top of veneered plywood for weight reasons. The edge will be thicker to make it less obvious the top is thin. I am a little worried about durability, however. I have an old Woodsmith plan where the top is built this way with solid breadboard ends that slide out so you can add a leaf at each end.

But enough on my plans, your pedestal looks great! I love my Bosch DEVS1250 which is reportedly similar to a Rotex, it removes wood significantly quicker in it's "turbo" mode.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve, no - it is not a dowel but a domino. I didn't intend for it to show (I used them to register the boards so they wouldn't slide during glue up), but since it does show I am calling it a "design element"!
Looks like a design element to me. Adds a bit of character.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Jim, when I start on the table top I am sure I will be calling on neighbors and friends to help when needed. You used the phrase "...require some serious thinking to move around" - I totally agree.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS