Pedestal for new washing machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolferone

New User
Tom
Our washing machine died last week. We bought a new front loader. The prices they want for the pedestal are outrageous! But, it needed something as it is too low otherwise. Since I happen to be a woodworker :D, I decided to make one myself. I had the plywood left over from the Murphy bed I'm building I had the feet, but bought the threaded inserts. Used white iron-on edge banding to cover the edges. Got a handle and drawer slide and was good to go. It is 27"w x 24"d x 15" t. Man, I love my Kreg pocket hole jig!

pedestal 1.jpeg pedestal 2.jpeg pedestal 3.jpeg

Last edited:

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
Tom, that looks nice. I hope you don't mind a bit of feedback from somone who has had a front loader for several years. The pedestal that came with our front loader (and you are right - they are overpriced) has a couple of features that I don't see on yours. First, there are recessed areas for the feet of the washing machine to sit in. The second feature are metal plates that fasten to the washing machine and pedestal. Without these features, the washing machine could move off the base. We actually got some feet to add to our base that are supposed to help with the vibrations. You will be surprised how much the machine will vibrate and move around a little.

Greg

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice simple solution to purchasing an expensive accessory.

Well done Tom!

(Boy o' boy, you are sure getting in some great shop time.)

Wayne

TBradley190

New User
Tim
I'm with you on that one Tom. I did the same thing when mine went out and they wanted $156 each for the pedestals. So I built a double pedestal for both w/d and the LOML said she loves them better than the factory metal ones, and they match her laundry room. Looks great!!!

Tim

toolferone

New User
Tom
Greg, there are holes in the bottom of the washer that the factory base bolts to. Once I go to install it I will mark the screw locations, drill the base and screw it to the machine. It takes a #12 sheet metal screw. I have a few lengths ready to go once I get the machine on its back and measure.

thsb

New User
Tim
Nice job. We had so much going on when we bought our machines that i bought the pedestals, but the whole time i was thinking "I can't believe i am paying this much for a stand" . Way to take the initiative and make something that not only is cheaper but looks very nice.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Another fine marketing ploy by the appliance companies. When did they decide it was too low? Dryers have been front loaders forever and the height is the same. I agree with WGhatchers post, I think you will need to capture the machine on top as well. Also, I hope the open box frame idea you have here is rigid enough to support the machine, they are very heavy when loaded up with water and clothes, not to mention spinning off balance. Good luck!

toolferone

New User
Tom
Also, I hope the open box frame idea you have here is rigid enough to support the machine, they are very heavy when loaded up with water and clothes, not to mention spinning off balance. Good luck!

The factory pedestals are an open box too. If you think about it the washer is only sitting on 4 feet. Those feet are sitting on top of the edge of the box on top of the side wall down to the foot. The weight is supported straight down to the floor. My wife and stood on it at the same time and did a dance. That was 375 lbs. well over twice the static weight of the washer. Of course time will tell. I might be on here in a month or a year telling about how not to build a pedestal :eek:.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
The factory pedestals are an open box too. If you think about it the washer is only sitting on 4 feet. Those feet are sitting on top of the edge of the box on top of the side wall down to the foot. The weight is supported straight down to the floor. My wife and stood on it at the same time and did a dance. That was 375 lbs. well over twice the static weight of the washer. Of course time will tell. I might be on here in a month or a year telling about how not to build a pedestal :eek:.

Yes, they are open on one end, but they are truly engineered structures, using the latest in structural analysis programs to optimize their design. I hope im wrong, but Im not sure it will hold up over time.

DWSmith

New User
David
I don't want to throw a wet blanket on your washing machine adventure, but...

Three years ago we bought a top-of-the-line LG front load washer and drier. After it became apparent the washer just wasn't able to clean as well as the old washer we just threw out, we called a service repairman in to find out the problem. Here it is in a nutshell as stated by the repairman, "Your clothes are just to dirty for the washer. Go buy an older machine and keep it in the shop to wash your work clothes". After three years, the bogus claim by LG that the machine uses water is all smoke and mirrors. In order to properly clean our clothes following the directions provided and using less than 1/2 of the recommended detergent per load, we have to wash all the clothes twice in smaller loads which negates all the water saving claims made by LG and the other manufacturers. Loud and with a high vibration, I have wasted a ton of money on this machine.

If I can find someone who has found a work around for the low water problem I would gladly pay them for it. I sincerely hope yours is better.

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
We have been pretty happy with ours. We have found that the front loaders can be prone to "Smelly Washing Machine" Syndrome. But running an occasional load with bleach or running the high heat cycle seems to take care of that.

TBradley190

New User
Tim
We have been pretty happy with ours. We have found that the front loaders can be prone to "Smelly Washing Machine" Syndrome. But running an occasional load with bleach or running the high heat cycle seems to take care of that.

If you leave the door partially open after washes so mildew can't grow inside, it will not smell. Ours was the same way.

thsb

New User
Tim
That was our experience with the smell as well, keeping the door a little open takes care of it.

We (or really my wife) has loved the front loaders-we have a Samsung.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Yes, they are open on one end, but they are truly engineered structures, using the latest in structural analysis programs to optimize their design. I hope im wrong, but Im not sure it will hold up over time.

toolferone said:

Tom is right on the money - an enclosed structure is not needed, (and would potentially create "wobbling" problems if the laundry room floor is uneven). I would wager that his shop-made stand is more than likely stronger than the factory made units. You are correct that the factory units are "engineered", but as is the case w/ most manufacturing, they are engineered to provide the minimum required support while using the least of materials and fabrication labor. It typically becomes more of an economic engineering exercise than a load bearing one.

Great work Tom - looks good!

Heath M. Hendrick, PE

tomk

New User
Tom
That was our experience with the smell as well, keeping the door a little open takes care of it.

We (or really my wife) has loved the front loaders-we have a Samsung.

Our Samsung has been a good performer. they will move around, mine is on a 7 inch raised platform with no drawers. I put a few pieces of 2x2 around to keep it from dancing away. We also leave the door open an inch or so, and have no smell.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Tom is right on the money - an enclosed structure is not needed, (and would potentially create "wobbling" problems if the laundry room floor is uneven). I would wager that his shop-made stand is more than likely stronger than the factory made units. You are correct that the factory units are "engineered", but as is the case w/ most manufacturing, they are engineered to provide the minimum required support while using the least of materials and fabrication labor. It typically becomes more of an economic engineering exercise than a load bearing one.

Great work Tom - looks good!

Heath M. Hendrick, PE
I would agree Heath that an enclosed structure is not needed, if it werent for the dynamic loading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS