Pecan logs, are they worth having sawed for lumber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCraig

New User
Jerry
Next door neighbor had a pecan tree cut down. Has two logs that he said if I wanted I could have. Estimate approx 175 board feet when and if sawed up. Question: Are they worth having cut up into lumber? And, what is pecan usually used for? I received a quote of $500.00 to have them cut into lumber.

I

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Next door neighbor had a pecan tree cut down. Has two logs that he said if I wanted I could have. Estimate approx 175 board feet when and if sawed up. Question: Are they worth having cut up into lumber? And, what is pecan usually used for? I received a quote of $500.00 to have them cut into lumber.

I

Pecan / hickory its all the same to me... There are lots of use for hickory its tough / strong - a lot of hand tools like axes have hickory handles. Its also non-toxic so it makes for great food contact wood. Seen someone here (forgot who) that made kitchen cabinets out of hickory. Really nice hickory kitchen cabinets. I always thought it would be good flooring or countertops but never tried it...

Dont wait long to pull the trigger - PPBs love hickory just as much as they do red oak.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I agree w/ Jeff. Pecan can make beautiful wood. It has a good bit of grain/character.

$500 to saw 2 logs seems a bit steep to me. Two years ago I had a man w/ a Woodmizer mill come to my place and saw for $.25/bf. Even if that price has doubled, it would still be a lot cheaper than $500. Did his price include the risk of hitting nails and ruining a blade?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

I
Pecan can be quite pretty. It is similar to hickory in appearance (it's the same family). It does tend to twist a bit when drying though.

$3.00 per board foot for milling is unheard of! Most folks charge in the .35 - .50 per board foot range for flatsawing 4/4, 5/4, 6/4 or 8/4 lumber if you bring them the logs (excluding metal strikes). Full width slabbing of large logs (30"+) and quartersawing costs more.

If you can post some photo's of your logs either myself, Jeff, Mark or one of the other millers can share our thoughts regarding log quality and suitability for milling.

Scott

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
The best blade i ever had for cutting tough stuff like hickory, persimmon, etc... i ground myself. It was darn near almost a straight tooth grind with no hook and i ground away every other set of three theeth. So it was kind of like a skip tooth blade i guess. But i could plow through some dense hard and wide wood with that blade.

Augie

New User
Augie
JCraig, here is some pictures of two pecan logs I sawed this past march. Very nice grain pattern, had the mill come to my house cost me $60 for bringing the mill then $200 to saw. They are worth sawing in my opinion. Ended up with about 250BF 7 10/4 slabs and a bunch of 4/4 pecan1 (6).JPG Pecan lumber (6).JPGPecan lumber (3).JPG

Attachments

• Pecan-logs (3).jpg
    Pecan-logs (3).jpg
    740.4 KB · Views: 408

JCraig

New User
Jerry
Bill,

The price did not cover blades. $40.00 extra for blades. However, This tree has been beside the house for 40 years. No nails.

Do you still have the name of the man that cut your trees?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
As for uses, pecan makes beautiful furniture. Our bedroom suite is all solid pecan. Bought it in the mid 70's and it still is in great shape, even after moving several times cross-country. Very heavy, though.

Save the drop from all the milling and wood working to throw in with the charcoal on the grill for a sweeter smoke flavor on ribs, chicken and pork.

Go

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Pecan is a beatiful wood. Tricky to work though being in the Hickory family. This is a piece made with PecanPecan Aquarium Stand.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS