PC Router Service Options ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
I have a couple of Porter Cable routers 690 1 3/4hp and 7518 3 1/4 hp.

The 7518 may need some servicing. Namely brush replacement and possibly the upper and lower bearings.

I have 3 questions:

-Approx how much would this cost using an Authorized PC repair dealer Parts plus Service

-Are there any good non-authorized repair places/person who can perform ? Assuming I buy parts

-Can this be done by me instead? I am fairly mechanically inclined?

Newbie in action!

Advance Thanks

T

toolferone

Brushes are easy. Bearings would be easier with a press, but not impossible with out. Call the PC service in Raleigh and get prices. The brushes are cheap and I don't think the bearings are way off base. Let me know if you need help I worked for DeWalt in a service center for 1-3/4 years repairing tools.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Thanks guys for the advice, I really appreciate.

Tool, I may take you up on your expertise!

I've got another WW'r Woodylarry coming over to check out.

Talk soon

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Over the years, PC has used a bunch of "special bearings" on their routers. A few years back I needed one, and PC beat Applied Power Tech. by about five bucks. The gals at the DeWalt Service Center know what they are doing as far as getting your parts. The hardest thing in replacing the bearings in a router is getting the collet off. An air or electric impact wrench will make short work of this task. Pop your router apart, measure the bearings and make sure they are "standard." Remember that bearings are generally measured in MM, not inches. Measure bore, outside diameter, and length. Compare to a standard bearing, and then decide where to order from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS