Paw Print Inlay

ste6168

New User
Mike
Working on a small leash holder for the house, nothing special there just a piece of walnut with a dado and another small piece of walnut that fits in dado to make a small shelf. A few hooks under shelf.... BUT the highlight of the project is the paw print inlay I did. A few gaps around the edges, but overall, very happy with the outcome. The inlay is made of beech, I cut the paw on the scroll saw, laid it out in place with double-sided tape, scribed the edges with a marking knife, and cut with cheap 1/16" spiral, I think upcut bit. The wood fibers where tearing upwards, which made the scribe lines hard to see once I got close. I imagine a downcut bit would work better for this, thoughts? The paw print itself is about 2.5" across.

jvzT3Ww.jpg

mAMcYsG.jpg

Full process pics here:

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Mike, I like your paw-print inlay on the shelf. Could you show the whole project?

Roy G

ste6168

New User
Mike
Mike, I like your paw-print inlay on the shelf. Could you show the whole project?

Roy G

Thanks all!

Roy - I have attached a picture of what I have, so far. Just needs finished (this afternoon) and I plan to add 3 basic black hooks along the bottom, under the shelf. Backside has two keyhole slots to hang it on the wall. and one of the shop dogs, Flounder.

44NfPwg.jpg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very nice. If I did something like that it wouldn't look realistic unless the paw print had mud on it..........

ste6168

New User
Mike
Very nice. If I did something like that it wouldn't look realistic unless the paw print had mud on it..........

Lol, mine are a complete mess as well. We have a small drainage pond across the street, the older one things it is her personal pond to cool off in. Takes all I have to keep her out of it. The puppy hasn't learned about it yet, but he has only been with us for 2 weeks. Wont be long, I am sure.

Flounder is the chocolate, Albie is the black. Dogs are awesome!
IMG_6730.jpeg

IMG_6779.jpeg

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Nice job. Uncut, downcut, makes little difference as you are not cutting to the line, but just very close to it, and the fuzz is just chiseled away. You did it right. Most important technique when chiseling out the waste is to chisel perpendicular to the knife cuts. This way the chisel will stop when it hits the cut line. If trying to chisel the waste parallel to the cut line, there is more danger to slip and chip out beyond the knife cut. Nice pup!

ste6168

New User
Mike
Nice job. Uncut, downcut, makes little difference as you are not cutting to the line, but just very close to it, and the fuzz is just chiseled away. You did it right. Most important technique when chiseling out the waste is to chisel perpendicular to the knife cuts. This way the chisel will stop when it hits the cut line. If trying to chisel the waste parallel to the cut line, there is more danger to slip and chip out beyond the knife cut. Nice pup!

Interesting. So, maybe I didn't do it right? I literally cut up to the line with the router (in some cases, over, where the gaps are). I found that by going slow, the fibers would chip up, then when I got to the line, it would leave a nice clean cut due to the marking knife cut. It would have been great to have a magnifying glass light, to get a better look at what I was doing. Chiseling out the final bits seems to be a more ideal way to get a crisp, clean edge though. I will have to give that a try next time!

and thanks for the kind words, about the work and pups!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks all!

Roy - I have attached a picture of what I have, so far. Just needs finished (this afternoon) and I plan to add 3 basic black hooks along the bottom, under the shelf. Backside has two keyhole slots to hang it on the wall. and one of the shop dogs, Flounder.

44NfPwg.jpg
Mike,
I LOVE this picture - project is nice and all that - but your model and the look on that face is priceless!

ste6168

New User
Mike
Mike,
I LOVE this picture - project is nice and all that - but your model and the look on that face is priceless!

Thanks Hank. I have so many pictures of her where she is the background focus of the photo. She is by far the best dog I have ever had, I am lucky I get to spend just about all day, everyday with her. Hoping she rubs off on this puppy a bit, and get a bit of her personality and demeanor in him.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Interesting. So, maybe I didn't do it right? I literally cut up to the line with the router (in some cases, over, where the gaps are). I found that by going slow, the fibers would chip up, then when I got to the line, it would leave a nice clean cut due to the marking knife cut. It would have been great to have a magnifying glass light, to get a better look at what I was doing. Chiseling out the final bits seems to be a more ideal way to get a crisp, clean edge though. I will have to give that a try next time!

and thanks for the kind words, about the work and pups!
Man, you have one steady hand if you are routing right up to the line. I try to get inside of about 1/32”, then chisel the waste.
There is a small battery operated light where the light is on the end of a flexible shaft. You can use rubber bands to attach it to your router and direct the light right to the router bit. You can usually find these on ebay searching for ”W2380,” the part number.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS