Pattern routing problem

Strom

Strom
Senior User
I have used flush trim bits for years with no problem both top bearing and bottom bearing. Yesterday I took out my Mack Daddy Whiteside spiral compression bit and tried to pattern rout some 3/4-inch plywood. As I inserted the plywood into the bit it grabbed and slammed it into my pinky finger. Just a lot of blood and sore today. I tried everything and was somewhat able to get it to cut. I tried again to start the cut as before and it threw the piece across the shop.
II removed the Whiteside and tried a Freud FT bit. Same exact result. Is it because I trying to pattern plywood or is something else.

Strom

Strom
Senior User
No. The part is about 10 inches long by two inches wide. I use the pin on larger pieces. Think it will help here?

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Is that the $200 + Whiteside bit? I thought that one wasn’t supposed to do that even if you cut against the grain.

Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would try using the anchor pin with that bit on a piece of scrap and see if it cures it. I've never been able to start any pattern freehand without the anchor pin regardless of size - and especially smaller pieces.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Strom, that’s a pretty small piece to pattern rout without at least a starting pin, or a better still, a larger and heavier pattern with ‘on and off ramps’, to allow the pattern bit to enter and exit the cut gradually.

Check out the keepsake boxes thread by Bob Vaughan for some really good examples of pattern routing smaller pieces safely.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
As suggested an anchor pin might help. Also check your radial cut depth. If greater than the flute depth, it will want to grab.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
How much material is there (to be removed) at the point where the part is being grabbed? Or, how deep are you getting into the trim bit before it grabs?

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
1) How much material are you removing? When you’re pattern routing it shouldn’t be more than 1/8” or so to minimize tear out and make the cut safer.

2) Is it catching on the end? The answer is not using a pin, it’s make the pattern 1” longer than the stock, so the bearing engages before entering the cut. ;);)

Sorry, but the is operator error. My guess is #2.

Strom

Strom
Senior User
I would try using the anchor pin with that bit on a piece of scrap and see if it cures it. I've never been able to start any pattern freehand without the anchor pin regardless of size - and especially smaller pieces.
I’ve done it both ways. The scrap and pin are going to next. Thanks.

Strom

Strom
Senior User
Made a pin today after spending a hour or two looking for it.
I like the suggestion of using a longer template to engage the bearing but for now the pin solved the problem.

Attachments

• 6E471539-D795-47C5-BA55-8B6E25553EA3.jpeg
    6E471539-D795-47C5-BA55-8B6E25553EA3.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 53

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Do whatever is safe. I’ve used a pin maybe twice in 40 years. You enter very slowly until bearing engages. Go too fast or have too much meat and it catches. Live and learn.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS