Parts for Stanley 42X

PappiJoe

New User
E
Hello-

Any of you know where I can find spare parts for a Stanley 42x saw set?

Guess what Im missing...

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Check with second chance saws, he is on e-bay, you can also do a general search for these parts on e-bay there are several vendors who handle parts for tools only.

PappiJoe

New User
E
Check with second chance saws, he is on e-bay, you can also do a general search for these parts on e-bay there are several vendors who handle parts for tools only.
thanks @Graywolf , I searched for "second chance saws" and did not get any sellers with that name.

I did find "secondchancesawworks" and sent him a note to see if he can help.

Thank you Sir.

Attachments

• 42x parts needed.jpg
    42x parts needed.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:

PappiJoe

New User
E
thanks @Graywolf , I searched for "second chance saws" and did not get any sellers with that name.

I did find "secondchancesawworks" and sent him a note to see if he can help.

Thank you Sir.
I did some research and apparently I could use a 42 as a donor for the parts I need (caveat: I most probably will have to modify the anvil). @Graywolf can you confirm that this is a good donor for the parts I need for the 42X?

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hey, Joe, I have one just like that, let me when I get home test your theory if it works or not I'll let you know. It should work but I'd like to verify it first

PappiJoe

New User
E
Hey, Joe, I have one just like that, let me when I get home test your theory if it works or not I'll let you know. It should work but I'd like to verify it first
Thank you Sir. I’ll wait patiently.

You have one of which? The 42X, the plain 42, both?

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member

This what the front of my 42 looks like. It seems the bolt for the retaining nut is attached to the anvil. Which in my case makes it not a candidate as a parts saw set. From what I can see of yours yours should work. I checked the thread count and diameter and it all matches up. If your anvil is like mine then you will have to file it down like you mentioned earlier.

It's hard to see but the anvil is some different and the 42 is designed to set teeth 4-12 points. The 42x is really designed for 12-20 points. Although I have set teeth with a 42x from 5-15 points without any problems. I can also recommend the Saw sets from tools for working wood web site. They have two sizes and I have used them with success. As a matter of fact I'm using a pair of antique of the same manufacturer. The Eclipse saw set no.77 and I can now recommend using them. The new ones are of aluminum cast not iron and the price point is affordable. I do hope this helps, and good luck on this. If you have anymore questions please ask.

PappiJoe

New User
E
View attachment 189500
This what the front of my 42 looks like. It seems the bolt for the retaining nut is attached to the anvil. Which in my case makes it not a candidate as a parts saw set. From what I can see of yours yours should work. I checked the thread count and diameter and it all matches up. If your anvil is like mine then you will have to file it down like you mentioned earlier.
View attachment 189501
It's hard to see but the anvil is some different and the 42 is designed to set teeth 4-12 points. The 42x is really designed for 12-20 points. Although I have set teeth with a 42x from 5-15 points without any problems. I can also recommend the Saw sets from tools for working wood web site. They have two sizes and I have used them with success. As a matter of fact I'm using a pair of antique of the same manufacturer. The Eclipse saw set no.77 and I can now recommend using them. The new ones are of aluminum cast not iron and the price point is affordable. I do hope this helps, and good luck on this. If you have anymore questions please ask.
Thank you Sir. I will check the suggestions out and try to get my hands on a plain 42 in the meantime.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS