palm sander question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryC

New User
Barry
OK my 20 year old Black & Decker palm sander finally gave up the ghost and I was at a BORG looking around for a new random orbital sander and saw what was called a sheet sander. There were quite a few more sheet sander on display than random orbit sanders. What is the difference between the two?

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Barry,
I have both, and I'm going to try and get this right so bear with me. The 1/4 sheet palm sander is orbital and moves in circles, the ROS moves in a more elliptical pattern. The ROS leaves less sanding marks on wood than the 1/4 sheet. I've had three Makita 1/4 sheet sanders for years they work well, I also have two ROS, a DeWalt and a Porter Cable, they also work well. I tend to use the sheet sanders around edges and corners and the ROS's on larger flat surfaces. Pesonally, I think final finishes come out better with scrapers, on pieces that really matter.

Anyway, that's my .02 worth.
Good luck,
Jimmy:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Well said, Jimmy. Like you, I have both styles. My personal favorite right now is my Bosch ROS, but I have a PC that is OK also.

Personally, I'd make sure to buy a hook and loop style, not stick on.

FWIW

DavidF

New User
David
Good info. Thanks guys. Jimmy, what are the scrapers you refered to?

I have the Rigid ROS and have been very happy with it for the past couple of years. It is quiet, comfortable, comes with a nice case and is very resonably priced.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Good info. Thanks guys. Jimmy, what are the scrapers you refered to?

Barry ,

Scrapers are actually called card scrapers, they are about the size of index cards and made of metal similar to hand saws.They are sharpened on the long edge and when held right and drawn across wood they shave the top layer off, much like plane do. The come in different thicknesses, the thinner the steel the finer the shavings. Once you've seen them used, you really want learn how to use them. They are relatively inexpensive, two Lie-Nielson card scrapers areabout $15.

I hope that helps.

Jimmy:)

ps. I'm sure someone else will come around with some links for you to view

DavidF

New User
David
Scrapers will become your new best friends once you get the hang of sharpening them. If you need any help with that, give me a call.

BarryC

New User
Barry
I have the Rigid ROS and have been very happy with it for the past couple of years. It is quiet, comfortable, comes with a nice case and is very resonably priced.

The Rigid was one I had my eye on and also the Bosch. But wondered if the Bosch was worth that much more money. I'm not exactly cheap and don't mind spending money on a tool if it is worth it. The specs were really similar so I just bought a plate joiner and went home.

DavidF

New User
David
The Rigid was one I had my eye on and also the Bosch. But wondered if the Bosch was worth that much more money. I'm not exactly cheap and don't mind spending money on a tool if it is worth it. The specs were really similar so I just bought a plate joiner and went home.

I am not one to spend top dollar either, but the Rigid has been great, I see no reason to spend anymore. I did buy a B&D "mouse" that I was at first a bit iffy about, but now it's proved to be indispensable.

RandyJ

New User
Randy
The specs were really similar so I just bought a plate joiner and went home.

Sorry Barry, but I don't think that plate joiner is going to do a very good job of sanding:). You may want to reconsider a ROS:icon_thum.

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
I also have a Bosch ROS and like it very much. Something to remember though, if you are sanding inside a cabinet you can't get into corners with an ROS. Therefore you need to buy both, an ROS and a 1/4 sheet sander.

Bob

BarryC

New User
Barry
Bob I do have a detail sander, you know the one with the triangle tip and it does a really good job on corners which is why I was thinking about an ROS.

Randy, you're right about the joiner not being a good sander...good thing I just wanted to join some boards for a small project and not sand them......

I do have a manual ROS I can use for the time being until the need for a real one comes up (which won't take long I'm sure). I was just curious about the difference.

Nativespec

New User
David
I use a 6" and 8" ROS, but the 1/4 sheet PC sander (I have the more expensive one which holds the paper better) is used for finishing. You can use any sandpaper you want and I will usually finish up with 320 or maybe 400 grit. The 1/4 sander can get into corners and round sanders cannot.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS