Painter's tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
I told folks at the Hickory show that I use painters tape on the pieces I am cutting. I was using the "delicate" super easy removable tape (it's a lighter blue than the regular tape). Well, I ran out and used some of the regular blue tape and thought I would never get it off a pretty delicate piece I had cut (pictures tomorrow - maybe). I glue my pattern to the tape.

Long and short of it is that I bought the "delicate" type again. Cut a very delicate piece and the tape came off very easily. The easy removal means that I use more so the there are no seams on the bottom of the piece to catch on the table. It is so much easier to remove that its worth using more.

Also, Jeremy, I don't think that I really explained how I tape pieces together for stack cutting. I tape along the edges - all sides- rather than using double-stick tape. It tended to stick too well and it was difficult to remove without breaking delicate areas. I also used to use packing tape under the pattern instead of painters tape, but it was also more difficult to remove and left residue. Some scrollers nail their pieces of wood together (nails in the waste area). I've never tried that.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I also use the delicate tape. The one I use is made by 3M and called Safe-Release. It actually says for delicate surfaces on the package. The package also says 60 day clean removal. It is a little more money then regular painter's tape but well worth the price. I buy it at Lowes.

For my stacks I use painter's tape or a hot glue gun. The glue gun is really helpful when stacking pieces that are of different sizes or not square.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Another method is to spray both sides of a piece of paper with adhesive.
Instant double stick tape and you can control the adhesion by the amount you spray.

pete

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Not a foolproof method, but one that works in a pinch: If the tape is too sticky, press it onto your shirt first a couple times. This will reduce the tackiness of the glue. That's a trick I use when re-painting in the house, (and I usually use regular 3M blue painters tape) as it reduces the chances of pulling old paint off of drywall.
If you have two pieces stuck together, you might try sticking them in the freezer for a while. Sometimes this will allow you to pop them apart.

Go

cskipper

Cathy
3M and called Safe-Release. Around the sides I use any kind of painters tape. The glue gun is a good idea when using scrap pieces of wood that aren't the same size - I'll have to get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS