Painter's Tape Experiment and gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
There's an upside to being unemployed - I got to try out this "Painter's Tape" method and make some sawdust in the mean time. And I really like using the painter's tape - thanks to all that mentioned/recommended it.

It's called "Nature's Majesty" from White Tail Designs - I found it in the Mar 2008 Creative Woodworks and Crafts.

There's the whole series of steps from blank board to finished project in my gallery.

It's soft Maple on Birch plywood. I used Olsen #2 CT and #5 CT blades to cut it out. I started with a #2 spiral, but it just took too much wood. The backer board was sprayed with a gloss black and then sanded to get the flat look back - but it ends up shiny anyway - and the whole thing was sprayed with clear Poly-crylic - a water based coating that I had available.
There's about 4 hours in saw time.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Great job Don:icon_thum - I have used the painters tape methid as well - on some things I like it but on the pictures that have hundreds of the real small cuts - don't like it - On those I use the temporary spray glue directly on to the back of the pattern - then I learned from Jeff Zaffino to use Mineral Spirits to get it back off - Again great job :eusa_danc

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
I had no problems with the "small" cuts...there are several in this pattern...and I'd have been afraid to scrape too much as can be the case with the mineral spirits. Just lucky I guess. The tape just peeled right off.

Most of my "problems" with this pattern were the blade movement mentioned in another post...had to adapt to that.

cskipper

Cathy
You did a wonderful job on that! I always use painters tape -with the "sensitive" version - the lighter blue tape- I've never had a problem with it coming off easily. I also spray the adhesive to the back of the pattern. Great job! :icon_thum

sawduster

New User
Robert
Great job Don :icon_thum
I use painters tape for everything and couldn't imagine doing it any other way

Outstanding piece of work bro :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Don, you did a wonderful job. I too use painters tape. ALOT. I use the purple version as it can stay on the wood longer. Next time you go to your dentist ask them for old dental picks and scrapers. Most have a few laying around and they work great to remove stubborn pieces of tape in delicate areas.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I use a hair dryer to heat up tape and other sticky labels. It peels right off with the adhesive staying on the tape. Also works great on dealer decals and bumper stickers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS