paint - prime PT lumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeeves

New User
dwight
I need to put a finish primer and or paint on an arbor. I get a different story from each experts. Has anyone put a finish on PT lumber. Thanks Dwight

sediener

New User
Steve
I talked to the painters when they came back to paint the screened in deck off the house that just finished next door. They said to make sure to give PT wood time to dry out (this was about a month and a half after the rest of the house was finished) and then put a good coat of primer on before painting. The paint job looks good so I would tend to believe them.

- Steve

I need to put a finish primer and or paint on an arbor. I get a different story from each experts. Has anyone put a finish on PT lumber. Thanks Dwight

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I'm going to say the same thing... I paint most of the railings and posts for the front porches of the houses I build. We make these out of PT lumber. I'd suggest waiting 6 to 8 weeks before priming and painting. And, no matter what the advertisement on the paint can says, always use a good primer first.

Ray

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Yes, pressure treated lumber can be painted, as long as it is dry. I painted my mailbox post about 5 years ago, and it still looks great. Except for the dust and bird crap.
I am a big believer in priming any surface that has to be painted. Making sure the post was dry, I applied 2 coats of an exterior primer, then the finish coat. Before placing the post in the ground,I wrapped the part that went into the hole with a layer of #15felt paper.
Wood must be dry.

Bryan S

Bryan
No problem here with the PT lumber I used for the porch railings. I stacked and stickered it in the shop and waited about 10 weeks then primed and painted. Its holding up fine still after 5 years.

alleng

New User
allen
i agreewith dave,after the lumber driesthe stain will go into the wood,thus it should lsat longer than paint,which stayson top.the paint will tend to crack and peel,i dont think that the stain will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors