Padauk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
:eusa_thin Has any one used any padauk? I've got about 10 bf of it. I'm thinking of using it as some type of table top. What other woods would look good with it and what kind of finish to use? This stuff is too expensive to experiment with.

Toddler

New User
Todd
Hey Larry,

I'm a total beginner, but am currently laminating Padauk and other woods to make some thru the body guitar neck blanks. The first completed one is in my guest room as the epoxy cures.

It is pretty stuff. I have learned that there are several types of Paduak and that Andaman or Burmese Paduak may not fade to brown as much as others. I have no clue what type I have, but wanted it for strength and dimensional stability more than looks. I can say that acetone wipes sure turn the cloth Red when wiping mine down before gluing!

Glad you posted this. It'll be nice to hear what feedback you get.

Todd

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeH

New User
Mike
I'm a total beginner, but am currently laminating Padauk and other woods to make some thru the body guitar neck blanks. The first completed one is in my guest room as the epoxy cures.Todd

Larry or Todd, do you have any pics of the wood?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweetgum

New User
Brad Keisler
When sanding Padauk with a lighter wood, say maple, you will most probably experience "bleeding" of the Padauk color onto the lighter wood...at least that's been my experience.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Mike, I haven't learned to post pictures yet. Padauk is very red when freshly planed and browns up a little as it ages. It's very striking, but I can see that it will have to be used with the right complementary wood.

Toddler

New User
Todd
I laminated it to Bubinga. I wonder if it will actually manage to bleed color into the Bubinga. That'd be pretty amazing. I couldn't get the bubinga to wet down even with acetone right after sanding with 60 grit.
Todd

PurpleThumb

New User
Jerry
Larry, I started building a Padauk Maloof chair this weekend and it is beautiful wood. It is dense and brittle so be careful with edges. Working with it is somewhat mean because the dust is fine and covers eveything around and it will stain clothes and skin. Definately wipe it down before gluing. My teacher was alergic to contact with it, so be careful. We had to vacuum around all the power tools used continuously. No photos yet (and I don't know how to post them either) but will try when my project looks like anything other than the klunker it does right now. Someone posted a site that has photos of wood just last week, I think it was Exotic Wood.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
:eusa_thin Has any one used any padauk? I've got about 10 bf of it. I'm thinking of using it as some type of table top. What other woods would look good with it and what kind of finish to use? This stuff is too expensive to experiment with.

I have used it on a few boxes. I like it. It IS oily (took forever for Watco Danish oil to dry enough to topcoat) but I have found it machines well, is very stable (no problems with warping/twist). It is almost Gator orange when freshly cut and darkens to a pretty red/brown color.

Pics of a few boxes below.

Chuck

attachment.php

attachment.php

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've got several pictures in my album of uses of it from boxes to cutting boards and tongue drums. Take a look if you'd like.
Dave:)

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Have used it several times Looks good with maple or curly maple. Just finished some tables out of ash that were highlighted with Paduak
They should be on my link If not email me and I will send pic;-)

cskipper

Cathy
It's very messy and very toxic - so protect your clothes, eyes, wear a mask, etc... The dust is kind of gummy and it gets everywhere. It is pretty, but I'm told will fade to brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors