Padauk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimThomasson

New User
Jim
Have any of you ever worked with Padauk???

My Mom want me to make her a linen chest and was looking at different species of wood and liked this one, but I've never worked with it. She also liked Sapele.

Jim

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have worked with it a little. It is very hard, and somewhat brittle. Be careful when machining it, it tends to splinter. It takes to a finish well and polishes great. Over time it does lose it's red color and turn more brown. I edged my TS outfeed/assembly table with it and have used it in several cutting boards. Nice wood, I would use more if I could afford it.

Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Jim, the only think I have done with padauk is turn a few pens, never made anything big with. I watched a David Marks show last night where he used Padauk to build an elliptical mirror frame that turned out really nice. He finished it with tung oil.

D L

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I like padauk except for the fact that dust from it will stain your clothes. It looks great when first finished and has a lovely rich red color. Unfortunately that rich red color will gradually change to a muddy brown hue as Dave said. The sapele will retain its color and with luck you can find some with some curl which would be beautiful displayed in a frame and panel door. Just my $.02.....

JimThomasson

New User
Jim
Thanks guys! A little research into padauk shows that it is also a respiratory irritant and then any little splinters you might get from tend to get irritated due to the oils in the wood. The brittleness poses a problem as well. Mom wants a nice even grain ... nothing with bold distinctive patterns and close to a cherry look and finish. The sapele might work better.

Jim

Mountaincraft

New User
William
Made a few things with padauk. I think it is poisonous, it looks like it and affects everything around it someway or another. Sapele works great, but watch for burning. What about Kawamba? Did I spell this right? Got some scraps from a custom deck job and I love it.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
More info about Kawamba (spelled correctly or not) it's a wood I've never heard of and couldn't google..gasp8-O

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS