Padauk Poker Chip Box Finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnW

New User
John
Pics of poker chip box given to son this Christmas. Padauk sides, QT Sycamore top, inlay band with red oak keys and chip tray. This box is approx 16" x 10" x 3" inside dimension, holds 400 composite weighted chips and is HEAVY. The keys, feet and morticed brass "L" brackets were needed for strength. Finish is 12-14 coats of Tru-Oil rubbed out through rottenstone on the top and 0000 S/wool on the rest.

I've got to make one more of these so any comments, especially critical suggestions, are appreciated.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Sharp box John! That QS sycamore really looks great and the banding really sets it off! I'm sure it will be treasured by your son!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
WOW!!! Very, very nice.:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Sure looks classy and I am sure that it will be cherished!:wsmile:

Looks solid too!

Well done.

Wayne

JohnW

New User
John
Jeremy,

To keep the chips from rattling I like to get the top almost snug to the top of the chips. My measurements got a bit close and I though I'd have to "borrow” your big Laguna to cut the top off. My band saw doesn't have the capacity so I typically cut the top off on the table saw. But I was afraid I couldn't afford the 1/8" kerf. But after careful knee knockin measurements, it all worked out.

Good thing too cause I would have had to give you this box for letting me use your big beast.:rotflm:

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Sweet. I love the inlaid corner brackets and choice of wood.

Do you have a pic without the chips ? Curious to see the inside construction.

Matt

JohnW

New User
John
Matt, Don't have pics of this box empty but this is a similar box. Used same material and methods. Just arranged them a little differently.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Awesome!!

Critical comments???? Only thing I can think of is maybe some foam on the top to secure stuff a little more, but it looks like it fits pretty securely.

JohnW

New User
John
Got the idea from a magazine and adapted it to these trays. Think it was a Woodcraft magazine about 1-year ago. I'll look and let you know.

To make them you just drill a series of holes with a forstner bit and cut the piece in half when done. I taped 2 pieces of 5/4 red oak together and used a 1-5/8” bit. Didn’t have to cut them in half…just took off the tape. The holes HAVE to be very straight and spaced very accurately, so you use a fence and a series of indexing pieces the width of your holes center to center. You also need to set up your press so it’s drilling 90 degrees plumb in all directions.

I used oak which drills easily but it also chips out too easily. Soft maple or poplar is probably a better choice.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow, that looks great. I like the reinforcement of the corners, with both metal plates and splines. And the inlay is gorgeous. Make sure you take some high resolution pictures, could be the first calendar entry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors