Packard Woodworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLW

New User
Harold
I was instructed by my wife to pick out a b'day present so I decided to make a trip to Tryon and visit Packard. They don't have a show room but you can purchase items over the counter. Just to let you all know they are very nice folk and very accommodating for "walk in's", as I was on that day. I also enjoyed the visit to Tryon and I would encourage any of you that would like to make a nice day trip for the family,to give it a try someday. It's one of those nice little NC towns that is a joy to be in.:eusa_danc

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Thanks Harold for the heads up on Packard - I have heard alot of good news about them:icon_thum

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have been to Tryon and it is a nice little town.

Now, what is Packard and what did you get for your birthday.

Oh, and happy birthday! :banana:

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Where I was born, NE OHIO, there is a museum on Packard cars. So... what's Packard in NC?
:nah:

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Harold,
Your right ,Tryon is a great little town.Did any trains come through town while you were there.Even if your not a train buff you have to see the grade coming out of Tryon going south towards SC.It is the steapest grade in the US for regular type trains.I rode the 611 Steam train over the edge several times over the years and it's amazing.And your right about the folks at Packard,they are great to deal with.
Greg

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Harold you better hold onto that lady extra tight!
Great birthday it sounds like. So what DID you get?? and where are the pictures...

Packard Woodworks: The Woodturner's Source
Packard sells woodturning supplies. They are a NC company and I've only heard good things about them. Like Harold said they don't have a 'showroom' but allow walk in sales.
Tryon is a short trip just south of Asheville in Polk county at the SC line. Its a neat little town worth looking into if you are ever in the area.

HLW

New User
Harold
For those that are not familiar www.packardwoodworks.com they are dedicated to the woodturner. I did forget to say what I purchased while I was there. I bought the "Oneway wheel balancing system" for my grinder.
As for Woodman 2k's reply. I'm quite familiar with the infamous "Saluda Grade" many railroad men lost their lives there. My father worked for Southern RR for 46 yrs. as an engineer and I had a great uncle that was killed there many years ago. His son who died last year was ninety five. At one time he showed me his fathers railroad pocket watch which had a dent in it when his father was killed in the train wreck.
Thanks for the replies and b'day wishes.:icon_thum

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Woodman 2K: The steep grade is north of Tryon to Saluda, not south to SC. I rode that trip some fifty years ago. They would break the trains in half and bring each half up, with all the engines. It was pretty exciting when they still ran steam engines. In ~1963 the railroad offered summer jobs to students. All they had to do was hand spikes to the guys with the sledge hammers. They could not get enough to do the job....too hard for the money. Did you make $6.75/hour in 1963? That section of track has been more or less abandoned, they now come up Old Fort grade to Asheville.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Harold ,
I'm sorry to bring up something with so many bad memory's.I have always been a train buff and had several chances to ride down the Saluda Grade with the 611 and several SD-40's for the dynamic braking and it was a heck of an experience.

Bill,
It has been awhile since I've been on the train so I did not remember the sequence of towns as you go down from Saluda.Thanx for correcting me, I guess since we were going down hill we were going south.:rotflm: Sad to hear that about the section of track being unused.Progress I guess.
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS