Pack ratting boards & cutoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
Has anyone else looked at their wood pile and realized that they are a pack rat when it comes to boards and cut offs? I'm getting rid of my current wood shelves to move to a vertical storage system to save some space and I realized that I've been a pack rat when it comes to wood. Rather than check through the wood I have for the last few projects, I've been calculating how much I needed, added 10 or 15 percent to cover mistakes, etc, and then went out and bought it. Now that I have to move my wood pile to get the shelves out, I'm realizing how much good wood I have lying around for any project that could come up in the near furture.

Here's a picture of the shelves:
IMG_1253.jpg

I think storing the wood so far off the floor has been my main issue for me not wanting to dig though the piles to see what's there. Once I get them stored vertically, I think it will be easier to sort through.

-NCGrimbo

macdaddy

New User
Steve
Me to, but I do have a final solution when I finally decide I will never use it. (It's call a woodstove.)

ChrisB

New User
Chris
I don't like to think of it as "pack ratting" but rather frugal, economical and resourceful - until they all get in my way and they end up in the fireplace!:gar-Bi

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I don't like to think of it as "pack ratting" but rather frugal, economical and resourceful - until they all get in my way and they end up in the fireplace!:gar-Bi

Wait wait

Me to, but I do have a final solution when I finally decide I will never use it. (It's call a woodstove.)

Instead of burning it, how about selling it or giving it to a wood turner? If you have boards or cutoffs approximately 1/4" wide to 2" wide and 1/2" and greater thickness by at least 12" long or longer.

I would love to take them off your hands. I'd pay for shipping. Or you can give them to any woodturner in NC. I sure miss NC.

I love, Cherry, walnut, maple, padauk, ebony of course, holly, and many others. Just let me know. Unless it benefits you to burn it, then don't worry about it.

Have a Merry Christmas,

Matthew

cskipper

Cathy
You timing is funny - yesterday LOML had a bunch of small cutoffs that he gave to me. I have no idea what I will do with them, but eventually I will find a use for them. It took a few years of his cleaning out his part of the shop, and then me going through his "trash" for him to catch on to the fact that I do eventually find a use for most parts. I probably take longer selecting the best piece of wood for a project, but rarely have to buy lumber. I know that we have folks who cut the pencil eraser-top reindeer, and lots use pieces for intarsia. Here's some of my smaller 3D ornaments -all from square blanks smaller than 1" x 1":

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
When you turn bottle stopper and pen plus do scroll saw work cutoffs have to be very very very smal before they are scrap. So I call it maintaining inventory.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Guilty as charged :gar-Bi If it don't fit up the shopvac hose, then it is still usable wood :gar-La;
the hardest thing for me to do is clean up my shop and dump my " scrap " buckets. If I ever start really looking I am doomed ....just have to turn my head and dump them in the fire pit :5sigh:
....... it is actually quite painful :sad11:

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I've actually thrown stuff in my wood "trash" box and then gone back and gotten it out the next day.

My scrap is arranged in boxes from really small pieces (hey, maybe one day I'll need just that color for the center of a flower!) up to bigger chunks. I also have a box of all the little pieces I've cut off of pen blanks. I tell myself I'll use them as center bands but I could never use that many bands in my lifetime!
:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS