Outside wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
I'm being asked to make several round bases to restore support columns on an old house. The owner wants solid wood. These will be primed and painted. Approx. 10" in diameter and 2" thick. What species of wood would you suggest we use?

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I'm being asked to make several round bases to restore support columns on an old house. The owner wants solid wood. These will be primed and painted. Approx. 10" in diameter and 2" thick. What species of wood would you suggest we use?

I'd say white oak, redwood, or pressure treated. Cypress could work, but I've never painted it for an exterior application, so I'm uncertain how it would do.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have painted cypress and had no issues but not sure how it will handle long exposure. I think WO is a safe bet.

unitedcases

New User
jeremy
I am a cypress fan. Everything I have ever made out of it for outside application is still going strong.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I would go with white oak. Strong and excellent for outdoors.

Red

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If you need high strength to support the roof/deck over the columns, white oak is an excellent choice. However, if the reason for replacement is bug damage (i.e. termites, carpenter ants, etc), then cypress will outlast white oak. If you are wrapping existing support columns, I would use cypress. Bug/weather resistant. Easy to work with. Holds paint well without the oil/stain problems of redwood and cedar (I would use a latex paint. Oil base will peel/flake unless you thoroughly seal all surfaces, inside and out).

JMTCW

Go

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
If you need high strength to support the roof/deck over the columns, white oak is an excellent choice. However, if the reason for replacement is bug damage (i.e. termites, carpenter ants, etc), then cypress will outlast white oak. If you are wrapping existing support columns, I would use cypress. Bug/weather resistant. Easy to work with. Holds paint well without the oil/stain problems of redwood and cedar (I would use a latex paint. Oil base will peel/flake unless you thoroughly seal all surfaces, inside and out).

JMTCW

Go

+1, for the reasons that Mark listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS