OUTREACH PROGRAM Train-The-Trainer session

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE VOLUNTEERED FOR THE OUTREACH PROGRAM: We will be holding a Train-The-Trainer session on Saturday, Nov. 10, at my shop in Liberty, NC. I have included a list of everyone who has volunteered so far. PLEASE mark your calendar and plan to attend this session if at all possible. The goals for this session will be:

• Equipment setup: We will remove most of the equipment from the trailer, and set it up in the shop. There are some unique work stations that have been specially designed and constructed for handicap participants, as well as non-handicapped.

• Safety review: We will begin each training session w/ a safety review, specific to the tools and machinery to be used in that session. For this session, we will work out the details of what we are going to say to the students.

• Do’s and Don’ts: We’ll discuss some of the do’s and don’ts of working w/ Wounded Warriors.

• How to teach: Knowing how to do something and teaching someone else to do it can be very different. In this session we’ll try to work out some of the approaches that work and don’t work when teaching others. We’ll try to do a little role-playing on the machinery/tools you’ll be using for your demonstrations.

• Practice: If time permits, we will try to make some of the items that you will be demonstrating, using the tools/machines from the trailer. If you have simple plans for scrolling, turning, or carving, please bring them w/ you.

• Roundtable discussion: What worked today and what didn’t? Since this is the first “hands-on” attempt at using the trailer and all its contents, we anticipate there will be “glitches”. Now is our chance to work out the bugs.

• Breakdown and reload: This may be the most difficult part of the day. We have to get all that equipment back into the trailer. There is a place for everything, and everything has to go in the right place, in the right order. This is literally the proverbial, “ten pounds of [STRIKE]manure[/STRIKE] gold in a five pound bag” scenario.

Now, FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT ALREADY VOLUNTEERED! We still need “skilled” demonstrators/instructors. We have a sufficient number of “helpers” like myself, who are not proficient at one of our three initial disciplines (scrolling, turning, carving) but are willing to help in other ways. If you have one of these skills, PLEASE VOLUNTEER and plan on attending this first session.

Finally, if you are able to attend this first session on Nov. 10, please let us know by responding to this thread. I’ll keep track and send out final directions a few days before hand.

Bill

The following list is based on responses to the initial thread. Please let me know if I need to make a change in your status.

VOLUNTEER
ROLEAREASPECIALTYNOTES
Steve_HoneycuttTm memberTriadCarving
The BoardSMITHTm memberTriadScroll SawWood preparation
sawdusterTm memberTriangleScroll Saw
SccottMTm memberTriangleScroll Saw
sawman101Tm memberWesternScroll SawPen turning
Russ DenzTm memberCoastalTurningPens, spindle
FredPTm memberTriangleTurningPens
LeviblueTm memberTriangleTurningPens
Phil STm memberTriangle
RaymondHelperCharlottePen blank preparation
wndopdlrHelperCharlottePen blank preparation
TracyPHelperCharlotte
jdulaneyHelperCoastal
jhreedHelperCoastalPen blank preparation
smallboatHelperTriad
JcraigHelperTriad
LeftyTomHelperTriad
Bryan SHelperTriad
RonJ103HelperTriad
Bill ClemmonsHelperTriadTruck driver
BobbygHelperTriangle
eyekodeHelperTriangle
golfdadHelperTriangle
scsmith42HelperTriangleShop host
zapdafishHelperTrianglePen blank preparation
rcarmacHelperTriangle
batk30msuHelperTrianglePen blanks
Vetteman9956HelperTriangle
KenOfCaryHelperTriangleSharpening
drwHelperTriangle
BertaHelperTriangle

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Bill, Please count me in. I can be a test student - if you can teach me, you can teach anybody. What time do you want to start?

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I just put it on my calender and should be able to confirm within a couple of days. I carve, scroll and turn, but I have no experience with pens (and if you ask me to turn a bowl, everyone should wear helmets including your closest neighbors :eek: - I am pretty much a spindle guy). I probably have the least number of bad habits when scrolling so I may be best suited to that but would do whatever...

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm a maybe. Sorry but that is my best answer until probably the day before. If I do make it it will only be in the AM as I have a wedding to go to in the late afternoon.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
What time do you want to start?

Let's shoot for 10:00 am. That should give everyone time to get here. We should probably be done mid to late afternoon. And before someone ask about lunch, those who have been here before for one of the workshops know the choices in Liberty are limited, very limited. :gar-Bi

Bill

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
depends on work and if i can hitch a ride......:) I think we should all try to attend this.:icon_thum

DWSmith

New User
David
I will not be able to attend. This is getting into my busiest season and Nov 10 is my wifes birthday. I dare not plan something other than for her.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I might be promotable to be a scroll saw trainer if Robert is willing to try and teach me. :wsmile:

bobby g

cskipper

Cathy
I'll volunteer for sessions in the western or even kind of western middle of the state. Obviously scrolling, though I could relearn basic pen turning if absolutely necessary.

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
I am a definite maybe for setup/breakdown. We had plans for the weekend, but may be able to change them. Will know for sure well in advance.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Being as I didn't have a previous excuse prepared for a hall pass, I plan on showing up. Anybody from the Western Territories need a lift? This might be a good PE time for some. As for lunch, what do you suggest Bill?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
As for lunch, what do you suggest Bill?

Unfortunately, our lunch choices in the big city of Liberty are limited, . . . . very limited. At the workshops we usually order in pizza. But if pizza doesn't suit you, please feel free to bring whatever you would like. I will have ice and bottled water on hand, and you can put your lunch in a cooler if you need to. I also have a microwave in the shop if you need it. If you want something to drink other than water, it's probably a good idea to bring it with you also.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS