Outdoor work lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Now that it's starting to get dark earlier, I am missing working outside. I especially like to sand outside. I was wondering if anyone ever used those outdoor worklights. Northern Tool has some for pretty cheap. Are they any good, or too many shadows and not worth the trouble?

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
They work well, the higher you can place them the less shadows they create.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Look at one of the mercury vapor or low pressure sodium lights that can be permanently mounted if you have the location. They have some cheap units that put out a lotta light for a little money. They're not as fragile as the quartz units and run cooler too.
'course you might want a little heat outside tonight.:gar-La;

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I noticed today Lowe's here in Goldsboro has all their halogen work lights marked down for clearance. I picked up the 1000w 2 light set and stand for $30. (normally $40). The max height is about 5 1/2' to the bottom of the light. Each light is individually switched, and can be turned off, on at 250w or full on at 500w.

The 500w (two 250w lights) set w/stand is $20, although I don't think the stand goes as high, and the 250w single light with no stand is $8. Utilitech brand, rated for outdoors.

Go

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
i picked up some on craigslist last year pretty cheap. check that out before going the new route

Glennbear

Glenn

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
If you don't mind making a stand to get them up in the air, Lowes (or was it Home Depot) has some of the super bright halogen's for $5 each. They are the one with a little base, but you could attach it to a ladder, or build a little wooden stand.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
One other thing about Halogen Quartz lamps. They are vulnerable to skin oil. When changing them always use a paper towel or cloth & never touch the bulb directly. It will cause the bulb to blister & fail. That's probably one reason they're being discontinued in favor of fluorescent setups.
BTW, some o' you young 'uns don't 'member this, but 'fore 'nuke boxes they used halogen lamps in a setup in convenience stores t' heat up sandwiches. They had a special cellophane that would take the heat & made a toasty sammich! Readin' 'tween the lines, don't tech a hot bulb!:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS