Outdoor storage box door question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
I've built a storage box connected to my deck and I'm going to be building the door for it this weekend. I'll be using 3 pressure treated 3/4" x 6" boards that are 26" long to make up the door. (Final deminsions of 3/4" thick, 26" high, and 16.5" wide) I'm trying to figure out the best way to connect these boards to form the door. Does anyone have suggestions? Should I go with pocket holes, biskets, dowels, or maybe just glue? Should I just screw it to the crossing supports that I'm sure the door will need.

Also, how thick does the crossing support need to be?

Thanks.

-NCGrimbo

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
From your description (w/o pics, BTW), I think a Z batten applied with construction adhesive and a couple dozen stainless nails or screws should do it.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
+1 to Joe's Z-batten suggestion if you're going to use 3 boards as described. You could fasten those 3 boards together as a panel using staggered pocket hole screws without any glue on the mating edges. The PT will dry and shrink significantly so you'll have 2 parallel gaps between the boards (like a deck). That's okay too if if doesn't bother you.

This is an inset shed door framed at 24"w x 28"h internally without a Z batten because the exterior shell covering is 3/8"t T-111 so there's plenty of perimeter support to prevent racking of the frame.

The frame is 2"w x 3/4"t white oak.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS