Out of the sawdust pile...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
3 quick and easy cherry tables were born.

Sawdust pile soon to be chicken bedding.
IMG_20170416_013352180.jpg

3 roughed out cherry tables.
IMG_20170416_013415957.jpg

Extra fancy Ashley furniture style hard maple corner block leg joinery. -:lol
IMG_20170415_151856179.jpg

My daughter asked for a living room table set (2 ends and a coffee) - so I came up with something in a hurry - spring time on the farm is busy.... Just need to rout / sand and finish - it's just a matter of finding time to complete the job now, hoping for some rain days.

Happy Easter Everyone!

Last edited:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well done Jeff. Kiddies will be able to tap dance on those!:)

Please post again after finish.

Wayne

Touchwood

New User
Don
Nice goin' Jeff....like that you mixed the cherry heart and sapwood. It will look great with finish on it. Are you planning to peg the M/T joints?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Nice goin' Jeff....like that you mixed the cherry heart and sapwood. It will look great with finish on it. Are you planning to peg the M/T joints?

Oh you must be talking about the white pine green woodworking shelf that my son is working on. The shelves are attached to the side via a thru hard maple wedged tendon. No glue or mechanical fasteners at all. It's very strong and will never come apart. (shhh... I've learned it against the wall and used it as a latter a couple of times :) ) I'll snap a pic and post it when I get back home later this afternoon.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
lookin good Jeff! would like to see you at the pic a nic if you can. :icon_thum

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

Here's a close up of my son's midevil green woodworking joint. So the idea is totally green wood, no power tools, no glue or mechanical fasteners.
IMG_20170416_221506006.jpg

Last edited:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Your son is almost as clever as his Old Man! Hard to balance all that woodworking with all your subsistence farming endeavors, but if you forego sleep, you can accomplish well Jeff!:gar-Bi

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
100% done - hand rubbed finish to a satin sheen. Next is a matching "standard dimension" bookcase. I think that's like 30" wide / 6' 6" tall / 13" deep if I remember correctly.

PART_1492999887953_IMG_20170423_210747.jpg

PART_1492999891553_IMG_20170423_210730.jpg

PART_1492999868495_IMG_20170423_210714.jpg

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Tables signed sealed delivered & set up in a bass player living room.
FullSizeR_2.jpg

But I thought it would be interesting to show just how much oil finished cherry darkens with age. The cherry & maple bass was finished Oct 2013. The tables were finished April 2017 - exact same finish and most importantly both the bass and tables were made from lumber from the exact same wild black cherry tree. I think it was in the fall of 2010 I sawed up a large diameter wild black cherry here in southern IL. The lumber was stacked to air dry in a open barn (no doors) and I brought it into my shop to accumulate in the spring of 2012.
IMG950523.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS